wat is d difference between stereospecific and stereoselective type of rxns????please give an example also..

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear unnati

Stereospecific Reaction: One in which one or more reactants or catalysts cause a reaction to take place at specific conformational sites, thus leading to a preferred spatial geometry of the reaction product. Syndiotactic polymers are a result of stereospecific polymerization

For example, the addition of dibromocarbene to cis-2-butene yields cis-2,3-dimethyl-1,1-dibromocyclopropane whereas addition of dibromocarbene to the trans isomer exclusively yields the trans cyclopropane.

stereospecific carbene reaction

Stereoselective Reaction:stereoselectivity is the property of a chemical reaction in which a single reactant forms an unequal mixture of stereoisomers during the non-stereospecific creation of a new stereocenter or during the non-stereospecific transformation of a pre-existing one

An example of modest stereoselectivity is the dehydrohalogenationof 2-iodo-butane which yields 60% trans-2-butene and 20% cis-2-butene. Since alkene geometric isomers are also classified as diastereomers, this reaction would also be called diastereoselective.

Stereoselective dehalogenation

All the best

AKASH GOYAL
AskiitiansExpert-IITD

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Discuss with colleagues and IITians

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
DEAR SIR , name the following : – 1 . the physical quantity corresponds to the rate of change of momentum .

Dear student, The Physical Quantity that corresponds to the rate of change of momentum is Force. The change of momentum is defined as Impulse and the rate of change of Impulse with time is...
  img
Sumit Majumdar 3 months ago

It is force. NOW , HOW IS FORCE= RATE OF CHANGE OF MOMENTUM.(answer is below) = newtons second law – force = m( final velocity – initial velocity / time) it can be written as force = m*final...

Saloni gordhan Rakholiya 3 months ago
Sir, Now i have completed my first year in gec thrissur for ECE. this year i got admission in bits hydrebad for EEE. Is it worth joining bits, if I want to do Ms abroad/mtech after Btech?...

BITS Hyderabad EEE is pretty good branch and it would definately help your profile if you are considering for MS abroad. For the target of MS in North America the switch would definately...
  img
Aziz Alam 5 months ago
I AM A 10TH GRADE STUDENT.I AM INTERESTED IN CHEMISTRY AND BIOLOGY AS WELL AS IN DOING ANIMATION GRAPHICS.WHAT FIELD OR STREAM SHOULD I CHOOSE:COMPUTER SCINCE OR BIOLOGY IN 11TH STD.HELP...

1.Physics, chemistry would be common subjects to persue COMPUTER SCIENCE professional or BIO-Medical professional. 2. If you want to be a computer professional as...
  img
Saurabh Kumar 2 months ago

you see , computer science which you are talking about is quite different with respect to animation graphics. But biology syllabus will be same as you have studied till 10 th , only the...
  img
Suraj Prasad 2 months ago
A particle is moving on a circular path of radius 1m with 2m/s 1. If speed starts increasing at a rate of 2m/s 2 , then what is the acceleration of the particle?

Hi, If speed is increasing at the rate of 2m/s2 than the acceleration is also 2m/s2, its just that beacuse its moving in a circle and acceleration is a vector quantity so its representation...
  img
Yash Baheti 3 months ago
Sir I am currently enrolled in University of Delhi B.tech (C.S) which was under FYUP but now it is removed and we are the first and we are first and the last batch of DU’s B.tech. This year...

If you are really interested in scope and package just do justification with your studies and keep up with the present time you will definitely get placed in some good company. This might...
  img
Sourabh Singh 5 months ago
I got AIR 38000 in JEE MAIN 2014 with State rank 1700. What can I expect?

The link below is IIT JEE Main Branch and College Predictor.You can use it to get the answer to your query. http://www.askiitians.com/iit-jee/main/college-branch-predictor.html Thanks...
  img
Aziz Alam 5 months ago

Your predictor is wrong. The 1 st option it gave to me is CS in NIT Delhi but its closing rank in 4 th allotment is 5000. Similarly all the other options are wrong. What do you say?

Harikrishnan M B 5 months ago
View all Questions »