Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 4,500 off
USE CODE: APR30

wat is d difference between stereospecific and stereoselective type of rxns????please give an example also..

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear unnati

Stereospecific Reaction: One in which one or more reactants or catalysts cause a reaction to take place at specific conformational sites, thus leading to a preferred spatial geometry of the reaction product. Syndiotactic polymers are a result of stereospecific polymerization

For example, the addition of dibromocarbene to cis-2-butene yields cis-2,3-dimethyl-1,1-dibromocyclopropane whereas addition of dibromocarbene to the trans isomer exclusively yields the trans cyclopropane.

stereospecific carbene reaction

Stereoselective Reaction:stereoselectivity is the property of a chemical reaction in which a single reactant forms an unequal mixture of stereoisomers during the non-stereospecific creation of a new stereocenter or during the non-stereospecific transformation of a pre-existing one

An example of modest stereoselectivity is the dehydrohalogenationof 2-iodo-butane which yields 60% trans-2-butene and 20% cis-2-butene. Since alkene geometric isomers are also classified as diastereomers, this reaction would also be called diastereoselective.

Stereoselective dehalogenation

All the best

AKASH GOYAL
AskiitiansExpert-IITD

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

sir can you please suggest me some books to improve my verbal and logical reasoning ..thanks in advance

A book by Arun sharma on apptitude best book
  img
Nishant Vora 4 months ago

Dear Kalyan, For improve logical and verbal reasoning you can read Arun apptitude book and you can also find in the book of logical learning.

SAI SARDAR 4 months ago
HAI......... I WANT TO GET A BETTER RANK IN THIS IIT JEE. CAN U PLEASE SUGGEST ME THE BOOKS

for physical chemistry preparation you prefer OP Tondon ,organic chemistry – arihant prkhashan,inorganic – J.D lee,physics – hc verma concepts of physics,for maths you refer rd sharma and...

KALYAN 4 months ago

dear lavanya, presently where are you studying ...if you are studying at corporate colleges like chaitanya and narayana then you can follow a schedule or if you are studying in any other...

KALYAN 4 months ago

IIIT RK valley is also a good institution you better continue in that institute if you want to terminate from rgukt rk valley then you should write jeemains.to get good rank you must have...

KALYAN 4 months ago
Which is the better IIT college? Is it Mumbai / Madras

obviously mumbai but it always depend upon you if you want to go madras it doesen’t matter as far as concerned finally it’s your way you understand what you opt for in college.
  img
Ashutosh Sharma 8 months ago

by this i meant that if you are getting any of the college you are in a prestegious institute for engineering in india.
  img
Ashutosh Sharma 8 months ago

Why so?

VINEETH N 8 months ago
could anyone plz tell meh weightage of all topics in iit.....

Dear alka For iit jeee there is no fixed weitage, it vary from year to year... If you see last 5 years paper topics from which most of the question asked is........ Maths: calculus,...

Badiuddin askIITians.ismu Expert 6 years ago
sir, i can not get any nit college in 1 and 2 round,so i can edit my online filling choice in josaa portal.then send me date and time which josaa portal start. which nit i get? jee main-107 ...

Based on your scor you will get an NIT but remember the seat allocation is done by CRL rank not the category rank but still wait for the 3 rd round and spot round and you will get a good...

Akshit Matthew 9 months ago

And remember choices you filled in the first round cannot be changed now they are locked.

Akshit Matthew 9 months ago
What r the most scoring and easy topics for jee mains and advance !?

Physics – Unit and dimension, Thermodynamics, Optics, modern physics Chemistry – physical chemistry Maths – Trigonometry All these are just putting formula and solving type chapters.

akhil one year ago
View all Questions »

• Complete AIPMT/AIIMS Course and Test Series
  • View Details
Get extra R 4,500 off

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • View Details

Get extra R 4,500 off