wat is d difference between stereospecific and stereoselective type of rxns????please give an example also..

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear unnati

Stereospecific Reaction: One in which one or more reactants or catalysts cause a reaction to take place at specific conformational sites, thus leading to a preferred spatial geometry of the reaction product. Syndiotactic polymers are a result of stereospecific polymerization

For example, the addition of dibromocarbene to cis-2-butene yields cis-2,3-dimethyl-1,1-dibromocyclopropane whereas addition of dibromocarbene to the trans isomer exclusively yields the trans cyclopropane.

stereospecific carbene reaction

Stereoselective Reaction:stereoselectivity is the property of a chemical reaction in which a single reactant forms an unequal mixture of stereoisomers during the non-stereospecific creation of a new stereocenter or during the non-stereospecific transformation of a pre-existing one

An example of modest stereoselectivity is the dehydrohalogenationof 2-iodo-butane which yields 60% trans-2-butene and 20% cis-2-butene. Since alkene geometric isomers are also classified as diastereomers, this reaction would also be called diastereoselective.

Stereoselective dehalogenation

All the best

AKASH GOYAL
AskiitiansExpert-IITD

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Discuss with colleagues and IITians

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Hello I am Sachin kumar. I graduated in Mechancial Engineering in 2009 with first classs honours. I have above 5 years of work experience. I am looking for M.Tech( Mechanical Engineering)...

You were looking for some information on Indian Institute Of Technology, Delhi. This institute offers M.Tech. I am providing you the name of the programs which are provided by IIT Delhi in...
  img
Suraj Prasad one month ago

Th part time post graduate programme in engineering from IITs is around of minimum 3 years. You can check these... M.Tech. (Part-time Basis) Programme The coursework, research, and thesis...
  img
Saurabh Kumar one month ago
Please Someone Answer to my question which have been asked on Askiitian Discussion board .

The link below is IIT JEE Main Branch and College Predictor.You can use it to get the answer to your query. http://www.askiitians.com/iit-jee/main/college-branch-predictor.html Thanks...
  img
Aziz Alam 4 months ago
can you give some tips to crack jee main?

Hi Student The key thing is time management along with hardwork and dedication Seven Steps for effective Time Management Organize:- Have an organized work place Maintain a proper planner for...
  img
Harsh Patodia 26 days ago

I was “very very” Sincere in my classes and cleared all the doubts in the class only. Again i segmented some topics and instead of preparing evrything, focussed on some topics in...
  img
Harsh Patodia 26 days ago

can you give your success mantra?

BHAVANA RM 26 days ago
how can i be motivated for my exams??

You have to self mitivate for the exam.Actually motivation comes from the combination of varous things.It can be summarised as: (1)Keeping yourself, always on the right track,donot deviate...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
i wnat to know the chapter wise weightage of physics,chemistry and biology in aiims entrance exam so that i can excel ...please tell me as soon as possible

Exam preparation tips Smart study is the way to prepare - hours and hours of study aren't useful if they are unfocused or badly planned. Be thorough with basics in physics, chemistry and...
  img
Saurabh Kumar 22 days ago

This are for Biology, Chemistry and Physics respectively....

Saurabh Kumar 22 days ago
Please give me some guidance about Geographic Information System and some refference website link related to the topic. I need it for preparing my seminar..

Geographic Information System A geographic information system (GIS) integrates hardware, software, and data for capturing, managing, analyzing, and displaying all forms of geographically...

Hrishant Goswami 5 years ago
View all Questions »