wat is d difference between stereospecific and stereoselective type of rxns????please give an example also..

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear unnati

Stereospecific Reaction: One in which one or more reactants or catalysts cause a reaction to take place at specific conformational sites, thus leading to a preferred spatial geometry of the reaction product. Syndiotactic polymers are a result of stereospecific polymerization

For example, the addition of dibromocarbene to cis-2-butene yields cis-2,3-dimethyl-1,1-dibromocyclopropane whereas addition of dibromocarbene to the trans isomer exclusively yields the trans cyclopropane.

stereospecific carbene reaction

Stereoselective Reaction:stereoselectivity is the property of a chemical reaction in which a single reactant forms an unequal mixture of stereoisomers during the non-stereospecific creation of a new stereocenter or during the non-stereospecific transformation of a pre-existing one

An example of modest stereoselectivity is the dehydrohalogenationof 2-iodo-butane which yields 60% trans-2-butene and 20% cis-2-butene. Since alkene geometric isomers are also classified as diastereomers, this reaction would also be called diastereoselective.

Stereoselective dehalogenation

All the best

AKASH GOYAL
AskiitiansExpert-IITD

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Discuss with colleagues and IITians

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
sir,I’m cofused between system science @iit jodhpur and computer science @nit warangal or svnit.......which should i prefer???

Out of the possible choices given System Science at IIT Jodhpur and CS at NIT Warangal or SVNIT. I would say that you should opt for CS at NIT Warangal. This is because of the fact that...
  img
Aziz Alam 2 months ago
sir i m getting it at dtu n it at iiit allahbad. what should i choose??

Hello Student, Both the institutes DTU and IIIT Allahabad are extremely good. As far as placements are concerned, both the institutes can be considered at par. Hence, it is entirely your...
  img
Latika Leekha 2 months ago
Which govt. college can i get at AIR overall 375000 and AIR category 224000 in jee mains? I belong to general category. Thank you..

The link below is IIT JEE Main Branch and College Predictor.You can use it to get the answer to your query. http://www.askiitians.com/iit-jee/main/college-branch-predictor.html Thanks...
  img
Aziz Alam 2 months ago
Which is the best bokk for organic chemistry?

morrison and boyd AND SOLOMONS these are really the best books fororganic chemistry
  img
Jitender Pal 4 years ago

I think the best book for organic is Jagadamba singh

A Sreekhar 4 years ago
Sir,i am studying for HS this year from westbengal.. I have dropped a year because i didnt study well in previous year,and my 11 is also uncleared. So now im studying hs in old syllabus..i...

Hi, Hard work is in near future, you must be prepared. You must join a institute who can teach you the syllabus of 11 th and 12 th both. We here at askIITians can provide you one on one...
  img
Yash Baheti 11 hours ago

my teachers advised me to concentrete only for hs not for jee now..whats ur opinion??

jOHNJM 9 hours ago
Which book to refer for GK bio chem and physics and minimium study hours to crack aiims

Hi Please specify what do you mean by GK? It will help me to answer with clarity. As per the second question, there is no mininmum hours to crack AIIMS. One should devote their complete...
  img
Sumreet Johar 2 months ago
View all Questions »