Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off
USE CODE: MOB20

wat is d difference between stereospecific and stereoselective type of rxns????please give an example also..

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear unnati

Stereospecific Reaction: One in which one or more reactants or catalysts cause a reaction to take place at specific conformational sites, thus leading to a preferred spatial geometry of the reaction product. Syndiotactic polymers are a result of stereospecific polymerization

For example, the addition of dibromocarbene to cis-2-butene yields cis-2,3-dimethyl-1,1-dibromocyclopropane whereas addition of dibromocarbene to the trans isomer exclusively yields the trans cyclopropane.

stereospecific carbene reaction

Stereoselective Reaction:stereoselectivity is the property of a chemical reaction in which a single reactant forms an unequal mixture of stereoisomers during the non-stereospecific creation of a new stereocenter or during the non-stereospecific transformation of a pre-existing one

An example of modest stereoselectivity is the dehydrohalogenationof 2-iodo-butane which yields 60% trans-2-butene and 20% cis-2-butene. Since alkene geometric isomers are also classified as diastereomers, this reaction would also be called diastereoselective.

Stereoselective dehalogenation

All the best

AKASH GOYAL
AskiitiansExpert-IITD

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Discuss with colleagues and IITians

HAI......... I WANT TO GET A BETTER RANK IN THIS IIT JEE. CAN U PLEASE SUGGEST ME THE BOOKS

for physical chemistry preparation you prefer OP Tondon ,organic chemistry – arihant prkhashan,inorganic – J.D lee,physics – hc verma concepts of physics,for maths you refer rd sharma and...

KALYAN 7 months ago

dear lavanya, presently where are you studying ...if you are studying at corporate colleges like chaitanya and narayana then you can follow a schedule or if you are studying in any other...

KALYAN 7 months ago

IIIT RK valley is also a good institution you better continue in that institute if you want to terminate from rgukt rk valley then you should write jeemains.to get good rank you must have...

KALYAN 7 months ago
hello, I just wanted to know whether in the 6th round of seat acceptance of josaa is the procedure same as that of document verification.Do I have to carry the same documents? Is there some ...

@ arushi , as per the previous records that i have , u donot have to pay anything else in the 6 th round of seat allocation process by jOSAA , I THINK THIS YEAR ALSO THE SAME TREND WILL...

Umakant biswal 8 days ago

dear Student, do carry your all credentials and testimonials along with you which have been intimated to you through the official weblink of Jossa and instead of carrying cash always prefer ...

Aneesh Sehgal 7 days ago
I wanted to ask that how should i study in class 12 ? for eg:- physics numericals..... from which chapters are they important and whattype of question can come what should i focus more and...

yes why not dear? for chemistry concentate more on ncert for organic as well as inorganic for physical chemistry refer p bahadur book as it is very usefult in iit jee for biology you need...

SAHIL 15 days ago

@ shreyas If u are talking about the board exams then i am giving some imp derivations here 1- derivation abt the construction and working of cyclotron 2- derivation of AC generator and...

Umakant biswal 14 days ago

hi shreyas you should focus mainly on two books from which you can iit mains easily. first is ncert and second is ncert exemplar. try to solve all the numericals of these books. if you are...

SAHIL 15 days ago
a line x=k intersects graph of y=log 5 x and the graph of y=log 5 (x+4) .the distance b/w points of intersection is 0.5 , given k=a+(b) 1/2. .where a & b are integers..the value of a+b...

Dear rahul given distance b/w points of intersection is 0.5 ie log 5 (k+4) -log 5 (k) =1/2 or log 5 (k+4)/k =1/2 or (k+4)/k =√5 k=4/(√5 -1) =√5 +1 so a=1 and b=5 a+b=6...

Badiuddin askIITians.ismu Expert 6 years ago
What all i​got to do in order to make it to iitb cse

@ sanjay I think you are asking about study strategy , if so, then below are the things that u have to do . frst of all u need to understand that u have to clear both JEE main and advanced...

Umakant biswal 24 days ago
My nameis Riya. I have given 10 th exams fron CBSE BOARD . I want to appear in IIT in future. I want to ask that which board i should opt to complete my aim.

@ sarita Cbse is the best and excellent one , so, donot think of choosing any other board if you are preparing for any national level entrance examination , beacuse in cbse u will get...

Umakant biswal 2 months ago

IITs are a good pick no doubt, but be sure that one has to work very hard to crack it and you need to invest you blood and sweat in it...do well in JEE mains and then check the cutoff and...

Aneesh Sehgal 2 months ago

cbse is the best choice because it affects the rank as well as your performance. so only go for cbse. take state board as second and icse as third choice . thanx moreover sorry above...

SAHIL 4 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete AIPMT/AIIMS Course and Test Series
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • View Details

Get extra R 3,000 off