sir iwant to purchase books for olympiad in maths and chem will you pls recommrend me some good one well i have odered arihant olympiad mathematical and moreover i want to appear for national mathematucs olympiad and indian sciense olympiad which i have gone through www.studyadda.com but in registration procedure these two have not been mentioned pls also tel me some more well known olympiad for which i can appear in class 11

sir iwant to purchase books for olympiad in maths and chem will you pls recommrend me some good one well i have odered arihant olympiad mathematical and moreover i want to appear for national mathematucs olympiad and indian sciense olympiad which i have gone through www.studyadda.com but in registration procedure these two have not been mentioned pls also tel me some more well known olympiad for which i can appear in class 11

Grade:11

1 Answers

AJIT AskiitiansExpert-IITD
68 Points
13 years ago

Dear Divyank ,

Reference Books for Maths
The following book treats the topics which are covered in the Olympiads and also is a rich source of problems; (highly recommended)

V. Krishnamurthy, C. R. Pranesachar, K. N. Ranganathan and B. J. Venkatachala, Challenge and Thrill of Pre-College Mathematics, New Age International Publishers.

GEOMETRY
         1. Durrel M. A., Modern Geometry Macmillan & Co., London.
         2. H. S. M. Coxeter and S. L. Greitzer, Geometry Revisited Mathematical Association of America.
         3. S. L. Loney, Plane Trigonometry Macmillan & Co., London.

NUMBER THEORY
         1. I. Niven & H. S. Zuckerman An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers Wiley Eastern Ltd. New Delhi.
         2. David Burton Elementary Number Theory Universal Book Stall, New Delhi.
         3. G. H. Hardy & Wright An introduction to the theory of numbers, Oxford University Publishers.

PROBLEM BOOKS
          o I M O Problem Collections
               1. S. L. Greitzer International Mathematical Olympiad 1959-1977, MAA.
               2. M. S. Klamkin International Mathematical Olympiad 1978-1985, MAA.
               3. C. R. Pranesachar, S. A. Shirali, B. J. Venkatachala, and C. S. Yogananda Mathematical Challenges from the Olympiads Interline publishing, Bangalore. (Contains problems and solutions of International Mathematical Olympiad from 1986-1994).

o General
               1. C. R. Pranesachar, B. J. Venkatachala, and C. S. Yogananda Problem Primer for the Olympiad Interline publishing, Bangalore.
               2. M. R. Modak, S. A. Katre, V. V. Acharya An Excursion in Mathematics, RMO committe (Maharastra and Goa).
               3. M. S. Klamkin USA Mathematical Olympiads 1972-1985, MAA.
               4. D.O. Shklyarshky, N.N. Chensov and I.M. Yaglom Selected problems and Theorems in Elementary Mathematics.
               5. W. Sierpenski 250 Problems in Elementary Number Theory, American Elsevier.
               6. I.R. Sharygin Problems in Plane Geometry, MIR Publishers.

JOURNALS
         1. Samasya, journal devoted to problem solving, published by Leelavati trust, Bangalore.
         2. Bona Mathematica, published by Bhaskaracharya Prathistana , Pune.

chemistry

Experimental Problems in Chemistry, Dr. Savita Ladage, Swapna Narvekar and Indrani Sen.

a) Physical Chemistry

Maron & Prutton, Principles of Physical Chemistry, 4th Edition, Oxford and IBH Pub. Co. Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi/Calcutta.

Atkins P.W., Physical Chemistry, 5th Edition, Oxford University Press.

b) Organic Chemistry

Morrison & Boyd, Organic Chemistry, 6th Edition, Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.

Carey, Organic Chemistry, 3rd Edition, The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

Atkins & Carey, Organic Chemistry- a brief course, 2nd Edition, The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

c) Inorganic Chemistry

Lee, Concise Inorganic Chemistry, 5th Edition, ELBS with Chapman & Hall.

Cotton, Wilkinson & Gaus, Basic Inorganic Chemistry, 3rd Edition, John Wiley & Sons.

d) Analytical Chemistry

Christian, Analytical Chemistry, 5th Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Skoog & West, Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry, 2nd Edition, Holt International Edition.

Skoog, Principles of Instrumental Analysis, 3rd Edition, Holt-Saunders International Edition.

e) Biochemistry

Lehninger, Principles of Biochemistry , CBS publishers and distributors Pvt. Ltd., Delhi (chapters on amino acids, proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids)

Mckee & Mckee, Biochemistry an Introduction, 2nd Edition, WCB/McGraw-Hill.

f) General Chemistry

Mahan, University Chemistry, 3rd Edition, Narosa Publishing House.

Ebbing, General Chemistry, 3rd Edition, Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston.

Schaum series books on problems in various disciplines of chemistry.

REFERENCE BOOKS FOR PRACTICAL CHEMISTRY

Jeffrey, Bassett, Mendham & Denney, Vogel's Textbook of Quantitative Chemical Analysis, 5th Edition, ELBS with Longman.

Arthur I.Vogel, Elementary Practical Organic Chemistry (Part 1, 2 and 3), CBS Publishers and Distributors, Delhi.

Addison Ault, Techniques and Experiments for Organic Chemistry, 6th Edition, University Science Books, Sausalito, California.

Day & Underwood, Quantitative Analysis, 5th Edition, Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.

CBSE practical books

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum..

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free