coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

6 years ago

Answers : (3)

Dear mukul,

In amines, there is a lone pair of electrons on nitrogen. The tendency of nitrogen to share these electrons with acids is responsible for the basic character of amines.

For comparison of the basic character of amines, the equilibrium constant of following reaction is a measure of their basic character.

action of amine with water

Since [H2O] is constant

The basically constant Kb = Keq [H2O]

Aliphatic amines with Kb between 10-3 and 10-4 are stronger bases then ammonia (Kb = 1.8 x 10-5).

Like ammonia, amines are strong bases and react with mineral acids to form ammonium salts from which they can be liberated by treatment with a strong base like NaOH.

formation of ammonium salts from amines with acids

That alkylamines are stronger bases then ammonia can be expressed in terms of electron releasing inductive effect of alkyl groups. Alkyl groups by their electron releasing effect, concentrate electron density on nitrogen and hence make the lone pair of nitrogen more easily available for sharing with acids. Also the electron releasing effect of alkyl groups stabilizes the alkyl ammonium ion formed and hence shifts the equilibrium in forward direction making the alkylamines stronger bases than ammonia.

Thus the basic character of aliphatic amines should increase with increase of alkyl substitution. In the gasphase, the basic trend in nature is as expected i.e.,

tertiary amine > secondary amine > primary amine > ammonia.

basic character of aliphatic amines

However, the order of basicity in aqueous solution does not follow the expected trend and gets altered as revealed by their Kb values.

basicity order of amines

The basic strength in aqueous solution depends not only upon electron releasing effect but also upon steric effect and hydration effect.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

6 years ago

if we take these comp. in water then NH4+ is most stable

the reason being , as all these comp. get H-bonded in water and +ve charge is max. on NH4+ b'cz of no e- pushing group.

hence NH4+ get max. H-bonded.

6 years ago

as saagar replied was absolutely correct but as i think in this case all the four compounds have h+ ion already so the stability in water should be reversed acc to the answer given by saagar

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Discuss with Askiitians Tutors

I am 12th pass student and in jeemain 2016 i got 147 marks while in advance i’m just qualify with OBC-NCL rank 7290.In my prep. i have been given lot of stress on chemistry.but it didn’t...
@ pranav what u need to understand is jee main and advanced is completely diffrent . jee main is only focusing upon the data that u can memorise in chemi but jee adv is testing ur...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Please Concetrate on Conceptual Studies. The competitive exams requires lots of understanding of conepts. You can refer to askiitians course for your kind reference. They hav everything...
Shreyas Patil 2 months ago
Sir, i am student who is presently studing in class 11 cbse in narayana, i am totally not understanding physics......we almost completed entire mechanics, but i don`t know anything......but...
@ gopinath yes , u can start with the besics , but before starting the physics i will recommend that first study the mathematical tools section in the h c verma book . thats the besics to...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
hi gopi yes start from chapter 1 because initial chapters are base . you can use askiitins notes for that moreover you can also ...
SAHIL 2 months ago
I passed my class 12 in 2014. I dropped a year and got CS+MBA(dual degree) in Thapar University, Patiala in 2015. I did not want to do MBA from Thapar and I gave JEE Mains in 2016 as well....
Do you think that you still have chances to continue as you have stated that you dropped a yesr? Secondly you are hopeful to get a seat in CS 4yr, and on the other hand you said about DTU...
Aneesh Sehgal 3 months ago
better to join iit.its best.dony miss the chance brother.if you are sure about ur seat in iit.then go for it.all the very best
Piyush Peeyush 3 months ago
Sir, how much marks should be scored by a OBC Candidate to secure a mbbs seat in AIIMS, DELHI? at least give a round figure
Dear student We cannot give you exact marks since the paper has not yet conducted and we cannot judge the hardness of paper.But according to last year, the last rank of OBC was 3159 whereas...
Bhavya 6 months ago
@ saurabh AIIMS , new delhi have only 72 seats for undergraduate programme . but if you are comparing the paper in this year then the paper will be easy so much . then u need to score min....
Umakant biswal 4 months ago
CSE at NSIT (DIT) or CSE at NIT Warangal... Planning for Masters outside India…. Which is the better option?
As both are equivalent collges but are like poles apart. Therefore you may choose according to yourconvenience. Thanks.
Vijay Mukati one year ago
CSE at nit warangal is better option
Prajwal Kavad one year ago
Sir/Madam, I have secured all india sc rank of 2291. You people are alumni’s can you tell me what college or branch i can get with this small rank ?
Dear Student, you may either visit the official website of JEE or use askiitians link to get the requisite information. There you may find the cutoff and merit list and also the chances for ...
Aneesh Sehgal 4 months ago
hi arvind : my dear friend please visit the below mentined link and compare your results with previous year cutoff
SAHIL 4 months ago open this can get any information
raj 4 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete AIPMT/AIIMS Course and Test Series
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • View Details

Get extra R 3,750 off

More Questions On Discuss with Askiitians Tutors