According to recent definations: the numerical value of a substance's molecular or atomic mass in atomic mass units is the same as that of its molar mass (the mass of one mole of that substance) in grams. So My question is : Is the Atomicmassunit (amu) nothing but grms/mol? Please justify and explain a little bit about mole concept with an example as I am Having a difficulty even after having a class on it. Please consider and oblige Thanks a lot

According to recent definations:

the numerical value of a substance's molecular or atomic mass in atomic mass units is the same as that of its molar mass (the mass of one mole of that substance) in grams. So My question is : Is the Atomicmassunit (amu) nothing but grms/mol?

Please justify and explain a little bit about mole concept with an example as I am Having a difficulty even after having a class on it.

Please consider and oblige

Thanks a lot

Grade:11

1 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear neel,

The standard unit in which the masses of atoms and molecules are measured. One atomic mass unit (amu) is defined as one-twelfth of the mass of a single atom of the isotope carbon-12. This is 1.6605 × 10-27 kg, or approximately 931 MeV.

The above definition was agreed upon by the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics in 1960 and the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (in 1961), resolving a longstanding difference between chemists and physicists. The current atomic mass unit, also called the unified atomic mass unit, replaced the atomic mass unit (chemical scale) and the atomic mass unit (physical scale), both having the symbol amu. The amu (physical scale) was one-sixteenth of the mass of an atom of oxygen-16. The amu (chemical scale) was one-sixteenth of the average mass of oxygen atoms as found in nature. 1 amu (unified) = 1.000 317 9 amu (physical scale) = 1.000 043 amu (chemical scale).

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free