Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 320 off

If both f(x) and g(x) are differentible functions at x = x0 then the function defined as h(x) = Maximum [ f(x),  g(x)] is

(a)always differentiable at x=x0

(b)never differentiable at x=x0

(c)is differentiable at z=z0, provided f(x0) ≠ g(x0)

(d) cannot be differentiable at x=x0 if f(x0) = g(x0)

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear Sanchit Gupta,

If f(x) = g(x), then h(x)=f(x), and h(x) is differentiable at x= xo.

So options (b) and (d) are wrong.

Let f(x) and g(x) be to different.

Consider f(x) = g(x) at x = xo, then

h(x) is not differentiable at xo, since it will have a sharp edge at that point.

Hence option (a) is also wrong.

If f(xo) ≠ g(xo), then h(x) is differentiable at xo, provided both f(x) and g(x) are differentiable at xo, which is given.

Hence option (c) is correct.

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. If you find any question

Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We

are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation. All the best Sanchit Gupta

Askiitians Experts

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Differential Calculus

(d/dx)((2x)/(3x))? what is the value of this a)1 b)2/3 c)0 d)3/2
0 is the answer.. i am damn sure 0 is the answer.. hey i am fillin g this as rubbish because i have to have 100 characters.. anyways it is 0 because 2x/3x is 2/3.. derivative of constant is ...
Jayakrishna Natarajan 9 months ago
here the answer is zero because here 2x/3x here x and x is cancel so after here 2/3 so the answer is 0
murali 8 months ago
What is the ranges and domains of hyperbolic sine and cosine functions.please give a hint to derive this with explanations
For sinhx range and domain are equal and is equal to all real numbers.but for coshx domains is r but range is [1,infinity)
H AGGARWAL 9 months ago
Let f : [a, b] → R be continuous on [a, b] and differentiable on (a, b). Suppose that f(a) = a and f(b) = b. Show that there is c ∈ (a, b) such that f′(c) = 1. Further, show that there are...
BY LMVT(Lagrange mean value theorem) Apply theorem in at points (a,f(a)) & (b,f(b)) This prove the first part that there exist a point c between a & b such that SECOND PART now break the...
Aakash one year ago
My answer was exactly the same as of Akash. But you disapproved my answer.
Anoopam Mishra one year ago
This is not fair!!!!!
Anoopam Mishra one year ago
let N=(2+1) (2 2 +1) (2 3 +1) …....(2 32 +1) +1 then log 256 N =?
jagdish singh singh one month ago
∫(x+sinx)/(1+cosx)dx => write sinx and cosx in half angle formulaes: => (x + 2sinx/2cosx/2)/(2cos^2x/2)dx => 0.5xsec^2x/2 dx + tanx/2 dx …..........................(1) let tanx/2 = u...
Vikas TU 29 days ago
Bhai, HashLearn is providing unlimited doubt clearing with IIT tutors for a month at Rs. 199. You should try them. Better than waiting here for a response
Ankit 19 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

Get extra R 320 off

More Questions On Differential Calculus

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn