if g(x)=max|y^2-xy| (0≤y≤1) then the minimum value of g(x) for real x

2 years ago

Answers : (3)

Hi Debdutta,

As y is always positive, let us see what happens in these cases

1. x>0, in this case we are subtracting a positive term from y^2 and hence possibility of minimum

2. x<0, in this case we are subtracting a negative term from y^2 and hence a possibility for maximum.

So we say g(x) = max|y^2 - xy|, x>0 for g(x) = minimum.

Now say y lies in (0,1] ie y is not equal to zero. In this case there will always exist a positive x where g(x) is always > 0.

And hence the minimum value will be possibile for x=y, ie the minimum value will be 0.

In case y=0, then g(x) = 0 for all x, and in this case also minimum value is 0.

Hence minimum value of g(x) is clearly 0.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

2 years ago

sorry mr ashwin by mistake i approved ur ans but the ans is 3-8^1/2 i think u r not considering the word max before mod

2 years ago

Hi Debdutta,

3-√8 is definitely not the right answer. You could have checked that on your own.

I have considered the word MAX in the question.

Clearly 0 is lesser than 3-√8, as 3-√8 is a positive number.

So minimum value has to be 0.

If somewhere you have seen the answer to this question as 3-√8, then it is wrong.

(Or else you have not mentioned some condition in the question)

Thanks.

Regards,

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Differential Calculus

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Find the value of a & b such that lim (x → inf) [((x 2 +1)/(x+1)) – (ax+b)] = 2

Ans:Hello student, please find answer to your question
  img
Jitender Singh 4 months ago

Thank you Jitender Singh Sir for the quick response.

Lovey 4 months ago
question is …....f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) is a odd function prove..... i added image of solution of this question .please help me to understand solution …..i cant understand the solution which give...

Ans: Hello Student, Please find answer to your question below Solution which you attached is little bit complicated. So I am gonna do this by an easier method. By definition, Since f(0) = 0,...
  img
Jitender Singh one month ago

….…..then ….…....then sir i can not understand this step please explain again fully

milind one month ago

sir i can not understand this step please explain again fully

milind one month ago
Help …....image attached

Hello student, Please find answer to your question Differentiate Differentiate
  img
Jitender Singh 4 months ago
In the figure given below, ABCDEF is a regular hexagon of side length 1, AFPS and ABQR are squares.Then the ratio Area (APQ)/ Area (SRP) equals

length of AP and AQ is as these are diagonals of square with side 1. Since AP and AQ are diagonals of square ASPF and ABQR respectively Also, due to hexagon property, angle between adjacent...
  img
Sandeep Pathak one month ago

Notice length of AP = = length of AQ. Also note and length of SR = length of SP = 1. so the two triangles are iscosceles with same angle between the equal sides. So the ratio of areas is...
  img
Sandeep Pathak one month ago

Sir , can you explain this answer with more steps.

Vineeth one month ago
The value of the constant a>0 such that ∫ a 0 [tan -1 x^ 1/2 ]dx = ∫ a 0 [cot -1 x^ 1/2 ]dx where [.] represents greatest integer function, is ?

Hi, See the grapgh of both tan^-11 and cot^-1 Now the integrations will be equal till the time gratest integer is giving zero. But cot^-1 starts from pi/2 and decreses and tan^-1 starts from...
  img
Yash Baheti 21 days ago
question is in image

The given equation can be written in the form: Now is defined for . So, Solving these two we get …......................(1) To solve , assume left hand side as and right hand side as...
  img
Satyajit Samal 2 months ago
View all Questions »