Continue Shopping
Get instant 50% OFF on Online Material.
Use coupon code: MOB50 | View Course list

if g(x)=max|y^2-xy| (0≤y≤1) then the minimum value of g(x) for real x

3 years ago

Answers : (3)

Hi Debdutta,

As y is always positive, let us see what happens in these cases

1. x>0, in this case we are subtracting a positive term from y^2 and hence possibility of minimum

2. x<0, in this case we are subtracting a negative term from y^2 and hence a possibility for maximum.

So we say g(x) = max|y^2 - xy|, x>0 for g(x) = minimum.

Now say y lies in (0,1] ie y is not equal to zero. In this case there will always exist a positive x where g(x) is always > 0.

And hence the minimum value will be possibile for x=y, ie the minimum value will be 0.

In case y=0, then g(x) = 0 for all x, and in this case also minimum value is 0.

Hence minimum value of g(x) is clearly 0.

Hope it helps.

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

3 years ago

sorry mr ashwin by mistake i approved ur ans but the ans is 3-8^1/2 i think u r not considering the word max before mod

3 years ago

Hi Debdutta,

3-√8 is definitely not the right answer. You could have checked that on your own.

I have considered the word MAX in the question.

Clearly 0 is lesser than 3-√8, as 3-√8 is a positive number.

So minimum value has to be 0.

If somewhere you have seen the answer to this question as 3-√8, then it is wrong.

(Or else you have not mentioned some condition in the question)

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

I m having problem in these two questions: 1) f(x)=x^3+6x^2+(9+2k)x+1 is increasing if k is 2)f(x)=cosx-2PX is monotonically decreasing for p:
HInt: 1. If we diffirenciate a cubic equation, we get the quadratic equation. Not for cubic polynomial to be increasing function, its derivative should be positive, i.e. quadratic polynomial...
Vijay Mukati 2 months ago
TANGENTS AND NORMALS find the points on the curve y=3x^2 – 9x + 8 at which the tangents are equally inclined with the axes
Ans: Hello Student, Please find answer to your question below Put in curve: Similarly you will get for x = 5/3.
Jitender Singh one year ago
You must add more information to the answer by providing why the slope is =1/-1 and whose slope. Let me add some more values to the answer. Any line inclined equally with axes makes angle...
Sumer Singh 2 months ago
tangent means slope and slope means dy/dx thus u can diffrentiate both sides and get the answer
grenade 5 months ago
Find all the tangents to a circle (x-a) 2 + (y-b) 2 = r 2 which make an angle @ with x axis
the result is very simple for circle centred at origin we say eqn of tangents is y=mx +/- r(1+m 2 ) 1/2 for circle with centre a,b we can linearly transform the eqn. by Replacing y------>...
Abhishek Singh 9 months ago
sorry it must be y-b=m(x-a) +/- r(1+m 2 ) ½ ( here +/- means plus or minus) in above post g must be replaced by “-a” and m is multiplied to x-a. it was my fault But your answer is wrong as...
any line of form y-b=mx-g +/- r(1+m 2 ) ½ ( here +/- means plus or minus) will touch the given circle, if we put m=tan@ then the equation of the lines are the required tangents.
pls attach image of sinx/x graph
There is no way uploading the image.
Nikhil Upadhyay 24 days ago
no u can paste it
kalyan 22 days ago
The sum of two unit vectors is also a unit vector.Then the magnitude of their difference is ?
on solving we get angle between vectors are 120 0 now we use same formula for s8ubtraction magnitude and put dot product value we get answer is 3 APPROVE IF USEFUL
ng29 3 months ago
the answer is one (1).because of sec is inverse of cosine cosine angle cos 0 is one (1).and it inverse also sec 0 is one.
SAI SARDAR 15 days ago
1 one
kalyan 27 days ago
SEELA YUVARAJU 27 days ago
View all Questions »
More Questions On Differential Calculus

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
To Win!!!