f(x)=[x]+[-x] when xis not equal to 2 and A ,when X =2 if fx is continuous at x=2 thwn the value of A=?

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

Hi Koushik,

Ih you note

f(x) as x tends to 2 from the right ie 2+

f(2+) = 2-3 = -1

And f(x) as x tends to 2 from the left ie 2-

f(2-) = 1-2 = -1.

So f(2) = A = -1 for f(x) to be continuous at 2.

Hope it helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards,

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

3 years ago

For continuity lim x->2+ f(x) = f(2) = lim x-> 2-

Evalutaing left hand limit: 

When x->2-: [x]+[-x] = [2-h]+[-(2-h)] =1+[-2+h]=1-2=-1

Evaluating right hand limit

When x->2+ : [2+h]+[-2-h]= 2+(-3)= -1 

therefore f(2) = -1 to mk the function continuous

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Differential Calculus

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
The coordinate of the point on y^2=8x which is closest from x^2 + (y+6)^2 =1 is ?

Ans: Hello Student, Please find answer to your question below Minimum distance b/w any two curves lie along common normal So if we find the coordinate where common normal touches the...
  img
Jitender Singh 4 months ago

thank you sir

Arpit Dhankar 4 months ago

thank you sir

Arpit Dhankar 4 months ago
Prove that

let y = f(x) g(x) Taking log on both sides log y= g(x) log(f(x)) Taking antilog on both sides y = e g(x) logf(x) Consider log f(x)= log ( 1 + (f(x)-1)) Expansion of log ( 1 + x)= x – x...
  img
Harsh Patodia 3 months ago

Hi Student, Basically subtraction of 1 comes from the derivation. So it must be done. If you want to know the derivation please reply on this thread otherwise its not necessary. You can...
  img

Hi student This is of the type f(x) g(x) which is of form 1 such that f(x) 1 and g(x) Solution of such form is give by e g(x)(f(x)-1) When you will subsitute appropriate values of f(x) and...
  img
answer is b

Ans: Hello Student, Please find answer to your question below It is given that exactly one statement is true out of three. Case I: Statement 1 is true which means f(x) = 1 & f(y) not...
  img
Jitender Singh 4 months ago
Does a rectangular hyperbola ever intersect the coordinate axes?

Definition says that the asymptotes of rectangluar hyperbolar are cordinate axis i.e x and y axis By the definition of asymptotes hyperbola meets it at infinity. So rectangular hyperbola...
  img
Harsh Patodia 4 months ago
the position o the vectors A,B,C of a triangle are i-j-3k, 2i+j-2k and -5i+2j-6k respectively.the length of the bisector AD of the angle BAC where D is on the line segment BC,is 1-15/2 2-¼...

if this is not the answer then please post the solution .. but think this is a correct approach

abhidon3 2 months ago

see as AD is internal bisector o angle BAC , it ( that is the point D ) will divide BD and DC in the ratio of AB/AC i.e 1:3 . now using the division formula get the cordinate of D . and find...

abhidon3 2 months ago
domain of x 2 -1 is?

/(x-2) which means x cannot "2" sqrt(x-2) which requires that x be >=2 log(x-2) which requires that x be >=2

Ameesh Katariya 5 days ago

the domain of x 2 -1 is the set of real numbers

vamsi krishna 5 days ago
View all Questions »