Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 400 off

please explain the wavy curve method and la hospital rule with examples

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear Abhik

Wavy curve method :--

1 . put only odd power factors in numerator and denominator  equal to zero separately as function changes sign only for odd power

2.  Plot these points  on the number line in increasing order  .

3. Now check the coefficients of X and make them positive.

4. expression will be +ve to the right of the highest point allotted on number line.

5.  alternately assign + and - signs in rest of intervals ( from right to left )

to see examples see the pic

L'Hôpital's rule

l'Hôpital's rule states that for functions ƒ and g:

If \lim_{x \to c}f(x)=\lim_{x \to c}g(x)=0 \, or \pm\infty and \lim_{x\to c}f'(x)/g'(x) exists,

then \lim_{x\to c}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \lim_{x\to c}\frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}.

Here is  example involving 0/0:

\lim_{x\to 0}{\frac{e^x-1-x}{x^2}} =\lim_{x\to 0}{\frac{e^x-1}{2x}} =\lim_{x\to 0}{\frac{e^x}{2}}={\frac{1}{2}}.

Here is another example involving ∞/∞:

\lim_{x\to 0^+} x \ln x =\lim_{x\to 0^+}{\frac{\ln x}{1/x}} =\lim_{x\to 0^+}{\frac{1/x}{-1/x^2}} =\lim_{x\to 0^+} -x = 0.

All the best.

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Differential Calculus

Co-ordinates of the point on the curve x2+2xy+2y2=45 at which slope of tangent is -2,is/are ?(A) (3,0)(B)(-9,3)(C)(-3,1)(D)(9,-3)
Diifferentiating y w.r.t. x we get, 2x + 2(y+ xdy/dx) + 4ydy/dx = 0 dy/dx = -(x+y)/(x+2y) = -2 on solving, x + 3y = 0 or x = -3y put in the curve and solve we get y = + 3 and – 3 and x = -9 ...
2017 years ago
Show that ln(1+x)>x for all x>0.
question printed is incorrect.Correct question:- Show that ln(1+x)0.
subham mohanty one year ago
Plz help me solve this question. It is from chapter limits and derivatives . I did not find that in the list,
Krishna, write your questions that you want to ask, to related to limits and derivative. But you studied the defnition of limits and derivative clearly.
Kumar one month ago
Try desmos (Google it ) ... It is used to graph the function.. Then you can set y as a parameter and then you will see that the function as x-> 0 the graph tends to infinity (for some values...
rishabh 20 days ago
Kumar the question is lim x--> 0 ((y^2 - (y-x)^2)^1/x). / (8xy - 4x^2 + (8xy)^1/2)^3 I have also attached the image of it with the question please take a look
Sujith krishna one month ago
If the vectors −3i + 4 j + λk and μ i + 8 j + 6k are collinear vectors then find λand μ.
Let a = −3 i + 4 j + λk , b = μ i + 8 j + 6k From hyp. a, b are collinear then a = tb ⇒ −3i + 4 j + λk = t(μ i + 8 j + 6k) −3i + 4 j + λk = μt i + 8t j + 6tk Comparing i, j, k coefficients...
KUNCHAM SAMPATH 10 months ago
Trigonometric ratios and identities...these two questions in the image...please help
19. (x + z) / 2 = y as x, y, z are in APUsing identities sinC - sinD in numerator and cos C - cosD in denominator, the expression becomes:Numerator: 2 cos[ (x + z) / 2 ] sin[ (x - z) / 2...
Faiz 15 days ago
what is integration? what is uses of integration: how to use integrations in real life?
Integration is an matematical Operation used to caluclate the area or volume of any given region/object.
Vijay Mukati one year ago
mathamatical defination ..the computation of a definite integral, a fundamental concept of calculus, which allows, among many other uses, computing areas and averaging continuous functions. ...
kalyan 4 months ago
integration is the mathematical operation used to caluculate the are under the curve............................or the integration is defined as the sum of...
SREEKANTH 4 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 400 off

More Questions On Differential Calculus

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn