coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

What is modular programming??

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Modular programming can be used to break up a large program into manageable units, or to create code that can be easily re-used.  A modular program consists of a main module and one or more auxiliary modules.  Each module originates from a separate source code file.  The main module is compiled as an EXE, and calls functions in the auxiliary modules.  The auxiliary modules can be dynamically linked, meaning they exist as separate executable files (DLLs) which are loaded when the main EXE is run; or they can be statically linked, meaning they are compiled as object files or static libraries (LIBs) that are combined with the main module into a single executable file.

Once you have learned how to create an executable file from an XBasic source program, it is easy to extend the procedure to make dynamically linked modules and (a little less easily) statically linked modules.  There are, however, a few rules that must be followed when writing the source code for the auxiliary modules.

Each module must have a unique name, assigned in the PROGRAM statement.  This name must be the same as the file name of the source code, minus the .x extension.  For example, the source code auxiliary.x must have the statement PROGRAM "auxiliary" in the PROLOG.  (The standard PROLOG code contains the comment that the program name must have 1 to 8 characters, but names longer than this seem to work without any problem.  However, the name cannot contain spaces.)

Function names need to be unique across all modules (with the exception of INTERNAL FUNCTIONs).  This includes the Entry() function, which will need to be renamed in each auxiliary module.  After re-naming the Entry() function, be sure to edit the PROLOG so that the new name is the first declared function.  See below for more notes on the Entry function.

All functions, composite types, and global constants that will be used by the main module (or by another auxiliary module) must be exported - ie., enclosed in an EXPORT...END EXPORT block in the PROLOG.

EXTERNAL variables can be used in statically linked modules, but not in DLLs.  Such variables are shared only within a single executable module, and since all statically linked modules are combined with the main module into a single EXE, EXTERNAL variables can be shared between them.  A DLL remains separate from other modules, and does not share EXTERNAL variables with them.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Computer Science And Technologies

What is ZigBee technology?
ZigBee technology is a low data rate, low power consumption, low cost, wireless networking protocol targeted towards automation and remote control applications. IEEE 802.15.4 committee...
Simran Bhatia 7 years ago
What is Object Oriented Programming
A type of programming in which programmers define not only the data type of a data structure, but also the types of operations (functions) that can be applied to the data structure. In this ...
Aditi Chauhan 7 years ago
Features of Object-Oriented Programming Languages Data encapsulation or data abstraction Data encapsulation, sometimes referred to as data hiding, is the mechanism whereby the...
Ravi Sharma 7 years ago
The Main Feature of Object Oriented Programming are : Encapsulation: The term encapsulation is often used interchangeably with information hiding.Information hiding in computer science is...
Swati Kharodia 7 years ago
what is state management in web application?why it is required ? give me list of state managemenet objects?
View state, control state, hidden fields, cookies, and query strings all involve storing data on the client in various ways. However, application state, session state, and profile...
Kevin Nash 7 years ago
A new instance of the Web page class is created each time the page is posted to the server. In traditional Web programming, this would typically mean that all information associated with...
Jitender Pal 7 years ago
what is the fee structure of iit delhi for m tech
The tution is very less which cists arnd 2000-3000 and overall fee including mess+hostel shldnt cross 20000-25000 INR per semester the 2 yr course contains 4 semesters and all m Tech...
Ramesh V 6 years ago
Can you tell me what is % required in for admission in i have completed my
Pawan kumar 5 years ago
Hello I m Abdul maher my rank is 14000 n my caste is obc can I expect any iit or should I go for nit
Dear friend, the rank hat you have mentioned, does not guarantee a seat at an IIT rather you may visit the official website of JEE Mains and getb to know which NIT is suitable for your rank ...
Aneesh Sehgal 4 months ago
you go for nit you didnt get seat in iit so you apply for nit.................................all the best......................................
raj 4 months ago
dear experts , should i go for mechanical engineering or manufacturing technology nit jalandhar. basically i want to know speacialization is better or mechanical. i am...
Mechanical is far more better than manufacturing at any point of time and day..You can go for mechanial as compared to manufacturing .Its scope is better ,bigger and full of oppurtunities.
Sourabh Singh 2 months ago
SAHIL 2 months ago
After doing btech in cse from the extension campuses of bits mesra we will take part in placement from the mesra campus or from the extension campus in whih we were studying?
From the extension campus only.
Vijay Mukati one year ago
We do have a T&P Cell where the Coordinator is a a slave of your T&P Cell. We do have teachers who can't speak proper English and trust me all of them are pass outs of BIT Mesra Main Campus ...
Gayatri Jayesh Bondriya one year ago
View all Questions »

• Complete AIPMT/AIIMS Course and Test Series
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • View Details

Get extra R 3,750 off

More Questions On Computer Science And Technologies

Ask Experts