There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

I gave a doubt regarding JEE counselling.

I am giving my question

1)What is ocean engineerineering & naval architecture?

2)Any scpe for research after post-graduation? (from IIT KGP)?

3)How are its placements ?

4)can u help me choose between metallurgy and ocean engg?

I want a career in research.

Actually i am apprenhensive about metalurgy because

I may be wrong but I had heard that there is a lot of mugging in METALLURGY & MATERIAL SCIENCE.

In classes 11 and 12 I  loved physics  and  maths... (hated chemistry).And I am very bad in mugging up .

Do u think i , Sir,I will be interested in meatllurgy?

Yours is the last word for me because  I dont have any other source for my dbts. please help! (and bear with me for my  questions which may be silly)

Thanking You

Yours faithfully,

Kamalendu Ghosh

OBC 614

Reply Forward

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Both of the engineering deal with engineering in the ocean. However, they mainly differ from each other in content. Naval Architecture deals with the design of ships and ship systems. Ocean Engineering deals with other structures and systems in or adjacent to the ocean, including offshore platforms, underwater submersibles, coastal structures and other ocean systems and ocean environmental engineering systems.

About the research, both of the branches have a good scope of research.

If you want to go on to work on an MS or PhD in metallurgy , there's a broad range of things you can study as well:

Alloys, Failure analysis, Ceramics, Corrosion, Welding, Thin films, Mechanical metallurgy, Plastics

Metallurgy is a good option. Metallurgical Engineering is a broad field that deals with all sorts of metal-related areas. The three main branches of this major are physical metallurgy, extractive metallurgy, and mineral processing. Physical metallurgy deals with problem solving: you’ll develop the sorts of metallic alloys needed for different types of manufacturing and construction. Extractive metallurgy involves extracting metal from ore. Mineral processing involves gathering mineral products from the earth’s crust.

Metallurgy has a very good scope in present and also in future. There are many companies which requires metallurgy engg. Apart from this there are very specific jobs in ocean engg whereas you will get a very wide variety of jobs in metallurgy.

Some different industries are:

Mining or raw material extraction

Raw materials refiners/suppliers (aluminum/steel/etc)

Oil companies (generally for failure analysis or corrosion)

Manufacturing (forging, casting, other materials fabrication of metals, plastics, ceramics)

Thin films, optical coatings, etc

Laboratory services

And about the last question you will see that no branch easy. In all branches you have to do some mugging. But metallurgy is not completely of mugging branch, there are a lots of things in this you just have to understand.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Branch Ranking of IIT

please visit thanks and post if still some doubts
SAHIL 3 months ago
Sir I am sending the list of 2015 advance.Is obc opening rank in the list is based on general merit list rank or obc merit list rank..i.e. the rank 6th of iit bombay for cse branch is the...
Hii your query is not clear .Kindly repost the question and for other queries related to IIT JEE you can contact us at support[at] or 010-4616500
Sourabh Singh 3 months ago
Hi, My brother’s rank in JEE advanced is 638. He is in a dilemma whether to opt for CS in IIT Guwahati or CS in IIT BHU. Please advise soon. Dixit Sharma
@ dixit i appreciate his effort to get such a good rank in jee advanced , and 1 more thing i would like to ask – won’t he get cs in iit roorkee ?? if that happens , then go for iit roorkee...
Umakant biswal 4 months ago
Dear Dixit, to best of my knowledge none of the two institution is lesser than the other in any respect, still if you are in a fix then I may suggest you to visit the official websites of...
Aneesh Sehgal 4 months ago
Sir. I got 20000 rank in advance can I get ANY branch in ANY iit
With the score mentioned by you, I can only say that...Well if you belong to the general category then a straight forward : NO...!!!! The closing rank for the general category students is...
sorry you can try next 2015 i got jee mains rank 95k and didnot qualify in jee advance but i droped a year and this year i have got a rank of 4378 in jee you can try...
vakul 4 months ago
sir i m getting cs in ism for dual degree and cs in nit warangal . which is better option
Go for CS at NIT Warangal followed by second option.. Good Luck.
Saurabh Kumar 4 months ago
Dear Aman, give priority to warangal and if you cna compare and contrast some more renowned institutions, then I may suggest you here to add these name too in your list – JJTU,...
what is the fee structure of iit delhi for m tech
The tution is very less which cists arnd 2000-3000 and overall fee including mess+hostel shldnt cross 20000-25000 INR per semester the 2 yr course contains 4 semesters and all m Tech...
Ramesh V 6 years ago
Can you tell me what is % required in for admission in i have completed my
Pawan kumar 5 years ago
Can ​you please share some information with me? about antibiotic resistance in fungi as work of class 12 project ?
Hai Abhinab, Its very easy you can do it with your daily life materials were fungi grows. Take a 2pieces of bread name them A and B and allow them to expose to air for 2-3 days. On B bread...
Dr.Adam Shaik 3 months ago
i wanted to write kvpy exam can you please upload sx question papers? and what kind of question will they ask in the interview?
@ akshaya Kvpy is a kind of dynamic scholarship test which test how much deeply u understood a perticular concept , U can find the question paper on askiitian site it self only , kindly...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
please check past year papers and sample papers fom these links thanks and approve my answer...
SAHIL 3 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete AIPMT/AIIMS Course and Test Series
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • View Details

Get extra R 3,000 off

More Questions On Branch Ranking of IIT

Ask Experts