hi, my roll no. is 1086107.my rank is 240 in jee 2010. i am confused about two branches---- electrical in iitd and computer science in kanpur...i will develop interest in any field.. i just wanted to know which is better 4 me in terms of placements , campus life , exposure..

hi,

my roll no. is 1086107.my rank is 240 in jee 2010. i am confused about two branches---- electrical in iitd and computer science in kanpur...i will develop interest in any field.. i just wanted to know which is better 4 me in terms of placements , campus life , exposure..

Grade:12

1 Answers

Manisha Sharma
24 Points
13 years ago

Dear Prateek,

Congratulations for getting such a good rank !

Electrical Engineers are needed in all manufacturing units, All major companies of public and private sector such as Electricity Boards, Large Scale Industries, Manufacturing Plants, Power Corporations, Hydro-Electricity sector are continuously in need of Electrical Engineers for their projects.Electrical Engineers usually get handsome salaries after some experience in related fields. Starters can get anywhere between Rs. 15,000/- to Rs.30,000/- per month.

Software engineering is projected to be the second fastest growing segment from 2006 to 2015, behind electrical and RF engineering - in terms of both salary and opportunities. Employment of software and firmware engineers is expected to increase much faster than the average for most non-engineering and all engineering occupations. Companies Hiring Software Engineerssuch as Microsoft corporation,sun microsystem,cisco systems,oracle corporation,apple computers,google,yahoo etc.

Some of the powerful MNCs which offer fabulous careers to Software engineers are: Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited, Bharti Airtel, BPL Mobile Communications Limited, Idea Cellular, Reliance Communications, Nokia India, Siemens India Limited, Videsh Sanchar Nigam Limited (VSNL) Tata, Vodafone Essar, all reputed banks and stock exchanges.The average starting salary of Software engineering graduates is between Rs 20,000 –Rs 30, 000 pm.

Therefore as you have already mention that you can develop interest in any field, so i would suggest you to go for Computer Science from IIT Kanpur.

Regards

Manisha Sharma

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free