a ray of light travelling along the line x + y = 1 is inclined on the x axis and after refraction it enters the other side of the x axis by turning 15 degree away from the x axis. the equation of the line along which ythe refraction ray travels is

a ray of light travelling along the line x + y = 1 is inclined on the x axis and after refraction it enters the other side of the x axis by turning 15 degree away from the x axis. the equation of the line along which ythe refraction ray travels is

Grade:12

2 Answers

Riddhish Bhalodia
askIITians Faculty 434 Points
8 years ago
I am assuming you have an idea about the basic principles of refraction.
Now have a look at the figure and it is pretty clear that the slope of the refracted line is
m = tan(180-60) = tan(120) = -\sqrt{3}
and we have the point where the line x+y=1 meets x axis i.e (1,0), the refracted line will also pass through the same point.
So now we have the standard point slope form given as
(y-y_1) = m(x-x_1)
we have the line as
y = -\sqrt{3}(x-1)
y + \sqrt{3}x = \sqrt{3}is the final answer
Riddhish Bhalodia
askIITians Faculty 434 Points
8 years ago
Sorry I missed the figure
I am assuming you have an idea about the basic principles of refraction. Now have a look at the figure and it is pretty clear that the slope of the refracted line is
m = tan(180-60) = tan(120) = -\sqrt{3}
and we have the point where the line x+y=1 meets x axis i.e (1,0), the refracted line will also pass through the same point. So now we have the standard point slope form given as
(y-y_1) = m(x-x_1)
we have the line as
y = -\sqrt{3}(x-1)
y + \sqrt{3}x = \sqrt{3}
is the final answer512-2130_2016-01-12-214300.jpg

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free