Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 350 off

If PN is the perpendicular from a point on a rectangular hyperbola to its asymptotes, the locus, the midpoint of PN is a/an 

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear Zahid

you have not maintion where is point P and N ,

ia m solving this question asuming P is on the parabola and N is on the asymptotes

let equation of hyperbola is   x2 -y2 =a2

and equation os aymptote is  :   y=x   (slope  m=1)

let N(x1,x1) on the asymptote ,and a point P(asecθ ,atanθ) on the hyperbola and(h,k) is the mid point of PN

h=(x1+asecθ)/2   or  asecθ =2h-x1 ...............1

k = (x1+atanθ)/2  or  atanθ =2k-x1 ................2

since PN is perpendiculat to aymptote so slope of PN =-1

x1 =(h+k)/2

so put this value in equation 1 and 2

atanθ =(3k-h)/2

now square and subtract

a2(sec2θ -tan2θ) = {(3h-k)/2}2 - {(3k-h)/2}2

a2 = {(3h-k)/2}2 - {(3k-h)/2}2

4a2 =8(h2-k2)

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you
the answer and detailed  solution very  quickly.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.
Askiitians Experts

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Analytical Geometry

the radius of two circles r1=3 and r2=4 and two circles cut cut orthogonally the area between two circles
Condition for orthogonality of 2 circles is so d=5 So length of common chord is 4.8 ( by pythagoras ) Thanks
Nishant Vora one month ago
Where can I get the solution of problem plus in IIT mathematics A Days Gupta ? I am stuck in some few questions so need a solution for that
@nikhil solution book are avaliable separately for a das gupta books in the market , its of bharat publication . also , if u have questions , then u can directly post it here , and i will...
Umakant biswal 16 days ago
Problem 5...................................(just to reach minimum character limit)
Part (a) is simple to disprove. Just arrange the numbers 64, 63,...,57 along the diagonal in descending order (i.e. 64 in a 1,1 , 63 in a 2,2 ,..., 57 in a 8,8 ). That way there will be no...
mycroft holmes 18 days ago
Part (b) Suppose p and q are two such numbers that are interesting in row r and s resp. WLOG p>q Consider p ’ in row s and in the same col as p. Then q>p’>p which is a contradiction. Hence...
mycroft holmes 18 days ago
integration of tanx limit raiseto 0 pi/4
Hint. replace tanx by sin/cos. Put cosx = t and solve by substitution method. Finally put the limits after solveing it. Thanks.
Vijay Mukati one year ago
Solve this Let a = i + 2 j + 3k and b = 3 i + j find the unit vector in the direction of a+b?
Given a = i + 2 j + 3k and b = 3i + j a + b = i + 2 j + 3k + 3i + j = 4 i + 3 j + 3k ∴ The unit vector in the direction of =± 4 i + 3 j + 3k 16 + 9 + 9 =± a+b |a+b| 4 i + 3 j + 3k | 4 i + 3 ...
KUNCHAM SAMPATH 10 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 350 off

More Questions On Analytical Geometry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn