The length of the chord of the parabola y2=x which is bisected at the point (2,1) is?

a)51/2     b)4*31/2     c)3*31/2     d)2*51/2

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

T = S1

y-0.5(x+2) = 1^2 - 2 = -1

2y - x - 2 = -2

or, x = 2y

Put in the equation,

y^2 = 2y

or, y = 0 , 2

x = 0, 4

Points where the line cuts the parabola = (0,0), (4,2)

Length = sqrt(4^2 + 2^2) = sqrt(16+4) = sqrt(20) = 2*sqrt(5)

Option (d)

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Analytical Geometry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Does a rectangular hyperbola ever intersect the coordinate axes?

Definition says that the asymptotes of rectangluar hyperbolar are cordinate axis i.e x and y axis By the definition of asymptotes hyperbola meets it at infinity. So rectangular hyperbola...
  img
Harsh Patodia 4 months ago
is there any formula for finding pt. of intersection between: ax+by+c=0 bx+ay+c=0

Yes, you can apply cross multiplication method(similar to solving determinants). In this eqns, x = -y = 1 . Hence, x=y= -c bc-ac ac-bc a 2 -b2 a+b

Ishan Mistry one month ago

how you can say that they intersect at y=x , its for sure that they are symmmetric but i think its only a special case that they intersect at y=x.

daksh 26 days ago

i think that there is a better way , we see that when we replace x with y in any eqn. we get the other one which means that the st. line intersect at y=x line as they are symmeteric about...

Abhishek Singh 29 days ago
A rop of length l slides with it’s ends on co-ordinates axis. Find the locus of it’s midpoint.

see, if (a,b)are the x n y axes,a 2 +b 2 =l 2 .....(c,d) midpt....c=a/2,,d=a/2....c^2+d^2=l^2/4....x^2+y^2=l 2 /4

RITABRATA SANYAL 5 months ago
find the solutions sin2x-12(sinx-cosx)+12=0

Ans: We need to do hit & trial in this case So the combined solution is This satisfy the original equation.
  img
Jitender Singh 6 months ago
middle term in the expansion is greatest then the value of [x]=

Hello Student, if middle term is greatest then using result. we get n/n+1 <x < n+1/n =>[x]=0,1 Thanks & Regards Arun Kumar Btech, IIT Delhi Askiitians Faculty
  img
Arun Kumar 6 months ago
Could someone suggest me how to build strong base for iit jee maths?Thanks in advance.

Every practical example is concerned of somewhat mathematical approach. 1. NCERT approach 2. Topic specialized books a. CALCULUS-- A.M.Aggarawal b. Trigonometry and vector analysis-...
  img
Saurabh Kumar 4 months ago
View all Questions »