if ax^3+by^3+cx^2y+dxy^2=0 represent three distinct straight lines,such that each line bisects the angle between other two then prove that 3b+c=0

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

Let the lines be

y-mix = 0 where i=1,2,3

As one line is equally inclined to the other two, we impose the following condition.

(m1-m3)/(1+m1m3) = -(m2-m3)/(1+m2m3)

Simplify to get,

(m1+m2+m3)-3m3-m3(m1m2+m2m3+m3m1)+3m1m2m3 = 0       ...........(i)

Similarly applying the condition on the other two pairs, we get,

(m1+m2+m3)-3m2-m2(m1m2+m2m3+m3m1)+3m1m2m= 0         ............(ii)

and

(m1+m2+m3)-3m1-m1(m1m2+m2m3+m3m1)+3m1m2m= 0          .......... (iii)

Adding equations (i),(ii) and (iii), we get,

-(m1m2+m2m3+m3m1)(m1+m2+m3) + 9m1m2m3 = 0                 ............(iv)

Putting y=mx in the equation of combined equation,

ax3+by3+cx2y+dxy2=0

we get,

bm3 + dm2 + cm + a = 0

By theory of equations,

m1+m2+m3 = -d/b

m1m2+m2m3+m3m1 = c/b

m1m2m3 = -a/b

Putting the above relations in equation (iv),

-(c/b)(-d/b) + 9(-a/b) = 0

cd-9ab=0

This is the condition that i get. No idea where i went wrong.

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Analytical Geometry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Q . A LINE HAS INTERCEPTS “a” AND “b” ON THR COORDINATE AXES. IF KEEPING THE ORIGIN FIXED , THE COORDINATE AXES ARE ROTATED THROUGH 90 0 , THE SAME LINE HAS INTERCEPTS “p” AND “q” , THEN p=a...

What’s wrong with this question? See, you might have been confused about in what manner are the axes rotated whether clockwise or anticlockwise, but the options are eliminating the doubt....

Yash Jain 6 days ago
The age of a man is four times that of his son. Five years ago, the man was nine times as old as his son at that time. The present age of the man is

Let the age of son be x. Hence, theage of father = 4x Age of son 5 years ago = x - 5 Age of father 5 years ago = 4x - 5 Its given that, 5 years ago the man was 9 times old as his son. ? 4x -...
  img
bharat bajaj 7 months ago

Let the age of son be x. Hence, theage of father = 4x Age of son 5 years ago = x - 5 Age of father 5 years ago = 4x - 5 Its given that, 5 years ago the man was 9 times old as his son. ? 4x -...
  img
bharat bajaj 7 months ago
let triangleABC have vertices A(3,4),B(4,6) and C(-1,6).The distance b/w orthocentre of triangle and the origin is

ans: triangle ABC is a right angle triangle.. so the ortho-center of the triangle will be the vertex where the right angle made..which is vertex A (3,4) ( you can figure it out by drawing...
  img
Ajay Verma 10 months ago

ans: triangle ABC is a right angle triangle.. so the ortho-center of the triangle will be the vertex where the right angle made..which is vertex A (3,4) ( you can figure it out by drawing...
  img
Ajay Verma 10 months ago
tangents and normals find the equation of the tangent line to the curve y=x^2 – 2x + 7 which is parallel to the line 2x – y + 9 = 0

Ans: Hello Student, Please find answer to your question below Slope of tangent: y’ = 2 Equation:
  img
Jitender Singh 3 months ago
A particle is thrown horizontally with relative velocity 10 m/s from an inclined plane, which is also moving with acceleration 10 m/s2 vertically upward. Find the time after which it lands...

Hello Student, Well do this by relative motion. a_rel=-20 v_rel=10 0=10t-10t^2 =>t(10-10t)=0 =>t=0,1sec Thanks & Regards Arun Kumar Btech, IIT Delhi Askiitians Faculty
  img
Arun Kumar 5 months ago
A closed conical vessel is filled with water fully and is placed with its vertex down. Thewater is let out at a constant speed. After 21 minutes it was found that the height of thewater...

let the height of cone be ‘h’ and radius be ‘r’ Volume of water is (1/3) r 2 h. After 21min height of water becomes ‘h/2’.Applying simiar trianles concept in the cone, we get new radius as...

AP GAUTHAM one month ago

I’m sorry it’s not showing “pi” at all.

AP GAUTHAM one month ago

can you explain with steps pls

poojahariharan one month ago
View all Questions »