if ax^3+by^3+cx^2y+dxy^2=0 represent three distinct straight lines,such that each line bisects the angle between other two then prove that 3b+c=0

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

Let the lines be

y-mix = 0 where i=1,2,3

As one line is equally inclined to the other two, we impose the following condition.

(m1-m3)/(1+m1m3) = -(m2-m3)/(1+m2m3)

Simplify to get,

(m1+m2+m3)-3m3-m3(m1m2+m2m3+m3m1)+3m1m2m3 = 0       ...........(i)

Similarly applying the condition on the other two pairs, we get,

(m1+m2+m3)-3m2-m2(m1m2+m2m3+m3m1)+3m1m2m= 0         ............(ii)

and

(m1+m2+m3)-3m1-m1(m1m2+m2m3+m3m1)+3m1m2m= 0          .......... (iii)

Adding equations (i),(ii) and (iii), we get,

-(m1m2+m2m3+m3m1)(m1+m2+m3) + 9m1m2m3 = 0                 ............(iv)

Putting y=mx in the equation of combined equation,

ax3+by3+cx2y+dxy2=0

we get,

bm3 + dm2 + cm + a = 0

By theory of equations,

m1+m2+m3 = -d/b

m1m2+m2m3+m3m1 = c/b

m1m2m3 = -a/b

Putting the above relations in equation (iv),

-(c/b)(-d/b) + 9(-a/b) = 0

cd-9ab=0

This is the condition that i get. No idea where i went wrong.

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Analytical Geometry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Find the distance of the point (0,2) from the straight line with slope 5 and passing through the point of intersection of x+2y=5 and x-3y=7. Find the equation of the straight line passing...

Hello student, the point of intersection of equations is(29/5,-2/5) given slope is 5 So eqn of line is y-y1=m(x-x1) y+2/5=5(x-29/5) 5x-5y-31=0 Distance from point (0,2) to above straight...
  img
SHAIK AASIF AHAMED 2 months ago

Hello student, the point of intersection of equations is(29/5,-2/5) given slope is 5 So eqn of line is y-y1=m(x-x1) y+2/5=5(x-29/5) Similarly you can solve the next question Thanks and...
  img
SHAIK AASIF AHAMED 2 months ago
Find the equation of the ellipse whose axes are of lengths 6 and 2√6 and their equations are: x-3y+3=0 and 3x+y-1=0 respectively

It's equation is ((x-3y+3)^2)/10 * 1/6 + ((3x + y - 1)^2)/10 * 1/9 = 1 Thanks and Regards, Pratik Tibrewal, askiitians faculty, BTech IITG
  img
Pratik Tibrewal 7 months ago
On the portion of the straight line x + y = 2 which is intercepted between the axes, a square is constructed away from the origin, with this portion as one of its side. then the point of...

soln: point of intersection of its diagonals is center of the square.... as shown in the image below the center is P (2,2) thanks and regards
  img
Ajay Verma one month ago
y= cos^-1(2x + 3 sqrt(1-x^2) / sqrt(13)) find dy/dx

Ans: Hello Student, Please find answer to your question Apply the chain rule
  img
Jitender Singh 25 days ago
what is a scalar vector

Scalars are quantities that are fully described by a magnitude (or numerical value) alone. Vectors are quantities that are fully described by both a magnitude and a direction. A related...
  img
Saurabh Singh 6 months ago

Scalar Quantities Most of the physical quantities encountered in physics are either scalar or vector quantities. A scalar quantity is defined as a quantity that has magnitude only. Typical...

Indu 5 months ago

which has only magnitude

raju 5 months ago
please solve this question in the image without substitution method?????

Hello student, Please find the answer to your question below (a)First you need to prove that for positive values of x and y x/y + y/x >= 2 (x - y)² + 2xy = x² + y² Divide...
  img
SHAIK AASIF AHAMED one month ago
View all Questions »