if ax^3+by^3+cx^2y+dxy^2=0 represent three distinct straight lines,such that each line bisects the angle between other two then prove that 3b+c=0

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

Let the lines be

y-mix = 0 where i=1,2,3

As one line is equally inclined to the other two, we impose the following condition.

(m1-m3)/(1+m1m3) = -(m2-m3)/(1+m2m3)

Simplify to get,

(m1+m2+m3)-3m3-m3(m1m2+m2m3+m3m1)+3m1m2m3 = 0       ...........(i)

Similarly applying the condition on the other two pairs, we get,

(m1+m2+m3)-3m2-m2(m1m2+m2m3+m3m1)+3m1m2m= 0         ............(ii)

and

(m1+m2+m3)-3m1-m1(m1m2+m2m3+m3m1)+3m1m2m= 0          .......... (iii)

Adding equations (i),(ii) and (iii), we get,

-(m1m2+m2m3+m3m1)(m1+m2+m3) + 9m1m2m3 = 0                 ............(iv)

Putting y=mx in the equation of combined equation,

ax3+by3+cx2y+dxy2=0

we get,

bm3 + dm2 + cm + a = 0

By theory of equations,

m1+m2+m3 = -d/b

m1m2+m2m3+m3m1 = c/b

m1m2m3 = -a/b

Putting the above relations in equation (iv),

-(c/b)(-d/b) + 9(-a/b) = 0

cd-9ab=0

This is the condition that i get. No idea where i went wrong.

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Analytical Geometry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
if lengt of sides of a triangle are 8cm 12cm and 16cm then find the length of altitude corresponding to the longest side options 1] 3/4ur15 2] 3/2ur15 ur= underoot

Op 2 using cosine rule u get cos of angle b/w sides 12 and 16 as =7/8 then use trignmtry to get the answer

gajanana hegde 6 months ago
Given two points a = (-2,0) and b =(0,4 ) the coordinate of a point M lying on the line 2x-3y=9 so that permeter of triangle amb is least , is

GIVEN QUESTION CAN BE SOLVED USING A.M-G.M INEQUALITY FOR PERIMETER TO BE MINIMUM AM +BM SHOULD BE MINIMUM i.e AM=BM OR SIMPLY M LIES ON PERPENDICULAR BISECTOR OF AB AND LINE2x-3y=9 i.e...

siddharth gupta 5 days ago
The locus of the foot of the perpendicular from the origin to the line which always passes through a fixed point (h,k) is

Hello Student, y = mx+c Foot of perpendicular from (0, 0) to the line be (a, b) Since line passes through (h, k): =>Equation of circle. Thanks & Regards Arun Kumar Btech, IIT Delhi...
  img
Arun Kumar one month ago
A particle is thrown horizontally with relative velocity 10 m/s from an inclined plane, which is also moving with acceleration 10 m/s2 vertically upward. Find the time after which it lands...

Hello Student, Well do this by relative motion. a_rel=-20 v_rel=10 0=10t-10t^2 =>t(10-10t)=0 =>t=0,1sec Thanks & Regards Arun Kumar Btech, IIT Delhi Askiitians Faculty
  img
Arun Kumar 18 days ago
How many hours of study is required daily for cracking jeemain?

For any exam one cant specify number of hours, because it depends on person to person. But on average one needs to work atleast 5 hours daily Thanks and Regards, Pratik Tibrewal askiitians...
  img
Pratik Tibrewal 6 months ago

it also depends wen u have started preparing. toh plz mention that too

shubhangi modi 6 months ago

siddharth singhal 6 months ago
solve for x sin3x *sin(cube) x +cos3x *cos(cube) x=0 arun sir answered me but it was a tough method i need some easy way as i am in 11 th so a method which i couldget please answer>>>

Ans: It is a simple polynomial, you can easily solve. And if you have options, you can hit & trial.
  img
Jitender Singh 4 days ago

sir can u explain me how u solved the third last step not getting ?? is there any such identity??

rashmi 2 days ago
View all Questions »