Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 550 off

Find the number of combinations and permutations of 4 letters taken from the word EXAMINATION 

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hello Aditya,

Its a nice question you have posted.

The word examination consists of letters in following frequencies.

E=1; X=1; A=2; M=1; N=2; T=1; O=1; I=2;

For picking up the 4 letters and arrange them into words woul require us to consider 3 cases.

CASE I:  2 same letters each of 2 kinds

THe possibilities are:

Each word can be arranged in 4!/2!*2! ways. So for three cases total ways = 3* 4!/2!*2! =18 ways.

CASE II: 2 same letters of one kind

The possbilities are:

AA _ _

NN _ _

II _ _

Now consider the case with AA _ _. For selecting the next two letter you can select maximum of 1  N and 1 I. So you need to select 2 letters from 7 left. ( Total =11. 2 left for AA , 1 N and 1 I left). 

So say for AA  _ _ case total number of permutations = C(7,2) 4!/2!

So total permutations for all the three cases = 3 * C(7,2) 4!/2! = 378 ways

CASE III: No repetition of any letter

Total no of permutation for this can be directly written as = C(8,4) * 4! =1680 ways

So total number of ways = 1680 + 378 + 18 =2076 ways

Hope this solves your query.

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our disucssion forum as you can.  We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best!!

Askiitians Expert

Ankit Jain- IIT Bombay

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Algebra

If alpha is a real root of the equation ax 2 +bx+c and beta is a real root of equation -ax 2 +bx+c. Show that there exists a root gama of the equation (a/2)x 2 +bx+c which lies between...
Ajay 3 months ago
Small Mistake in last para posting again..............................................................................................................
Ajay 3 months ago
We have Similarly, So if P(x) = a/2 x 2 +bx +c, then and are off opposite sign and hence there must exist a root between the two numbers.
mycroft holmes 3 months ago
what is cryptograrhy?????????????????????????????????
Cryptography is the science of providing security for information. It has been used as a means of providing secure communication between individuals, government agencies and military...
dolly bhatia 3 months ago
@ sivagiri Cryptography refers to the method of storing and transmitting data in a perticular form , so, that only those for whoom it is intended can read and process it . u can simply tell ...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
Sir que. No. 5.. can u help me... and if u hav some easy tricks to do this que.
For these type of problems you should convert all logs to a common base e. Also you should know graph of log function so that you can determine if Log a is greater or less than log b. . To...
Ajay 3 months ago
Here is rest of solution …................................................................................
Ajay 3 months ago
Shorter solution: 1/x = log 5 3 and 1/y = log 25 17 = log 5 >log 5 3 i.e. 1/x 0 we have x>y
mycroft holmes 3 months ago
SIR, How to find angle by using trignomtry tan,sin ratios angle=tan -1
ya we can use inverse trigo here if we have sinx = 1 then x = sin -1 1 Thanks
Nishant Vora one month ago
1)If (1,a) , (3,9a) , (4,b) , (6,18) are collinear then (a,b/a)= A.(6,13) B.(6/7,13) C.(6/7,13/7) D.(21,13) 2)If A,B,C are collnear points A=(3,4) , B=(7,7) and AC = 10 then C = A.(5,2)...
Hii 1) find out their slopes and equate for all the pair of points . You will get the answer 2) Just equate the value of slope m = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1). You will get the answer
Sourabh Singh 2 months ago
i want to s∫tudy number theory for rmo help ∫ pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
@ rohith Kindly let me know what problems u are facing in studying the number theory ?? so, that we can help you out in understanding this concept . WAITING FOR YOUR RESPONSE . ALL THE BEST ...
Umakant biswal 20 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 550 off

More Questions On Algebra

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn