f(x)= x^2+3x+b (x>1,X=1)

2ax+3       (x<1)

f(x) is continous and differenstiable then find value of a and b

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

at x=1 f(1) = 1+3+b=b+4

at x=1-h whr h-->0 , f(1-h)=2a(1-h)+3=2a+3

at x=1+h whr h-->0 , f(1+h)=(1+h)^2+3(1+h)+b=1+3+b

as all 3 eqns shld be equal for function to be continuous, it means : 2a+3 = b+4

f(x) is differentiable

f'(x) = 2x+3 at x=1 its f'(1)=5

f'(x+h)= [ f(x+h)-f(x)] / h = [ f(1+h)-f(1)] / h = [ (1+h)^2+3(1+h)+b - b-4 ] / h = h+5 = 5

f'(x-h)=[ f(x-h)-f(x) ]/ -h = [ f(1-h)-f(1)] / -h = [ 2a -2ah +3 - b-4 ] / h

to cancel on both numerator and denominator, (b+1-2a) shld be 0

= 2a = 5

a=5/2 .. on putting above we have

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Algebra

If f(x)f(1÷x)=f(x)+f(1÷x).Then Why f(x)=1+x^n?Here f(x) is a polynomial function.
Multiply the equation by x n to obtain. Notice that if a is a root of f(x), it is also a root of the ‘reciprocal polynomial’ x n f(1/x) and vice-versa. This means that for some complex...
mycroft holmes one month ago
what is the hardy number of ramanujans...........?????????????
mohan “It is the smallest number that can be written as the sum of two cubes in two different ways!” And 1,729 is indeed the smallest such number. And because of this incident, it is now...
Y MANJUNADH 9 months ago
"Once, in the taxi from London, Hardy noticed its number, 1729 . He must have thought about it a little because he entered the room where Ramanujan lay in bed and, with scarcely a hello,...
T.kumar 9 months ago
hai mohan 1729 is the natural number following 1728 and preceding 1730. 1729 is the Hardy–Ramanujan number after a famous anecdote of the British mathematician G. H. Hardy regarding a visit ...
manichandra 9 months ago
lim(x->a) [(xsina-asinx) /(x-a) ]=sina-acosa........ PROOF
lim [ (xsin(a) - asin(x)) / (x - a) ] x -> a We have to use L`Hospital`s rule to solve this. This means we take the derivative of each of the top and bottom and calculate a new limit. Keep...
rahul kushwaha 25 days ago
If the vectors −3i + 4 j + λk and μ i + 8 j + 6k are collinear vectors then find λand μ.
Let a = −3 i + 4 j + λk , b = μ i + 8 j + 6k From hyp. a, b are collinear then a = tb ⇒ −3i + 4 j + λk = t(μ i + 8 j + 6k) −3i + 4 j + λk = μt i + 8t j + 6tk Comparing i, j, k coefficients...
KUNCHAM SAMPATH 10 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 550 off

More Questions On Algebra

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn