A  leaf  is  torn  from  a  paperback  novel. The  sum  of  the  numbers  on  the  remaining  pages  is 15000.  What are the page numbers on the torn leaf ?

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hello student,
Please find the answer to your question below
The sum of the numbers form an arithmetic progression.
So, assuming the number of pages is n, the first is number 1. And number missing are p and p+1 (a leaf is torn so two page numbers missing).
Then Sum of all pages= n/2 (2+n-1) {using the formula of sum of AP with a=1}
The Sum of remaining pages =15000=n/2(2+n-1)-p-(p+1);
=> 15000= n+n^2/2-n/2-2p-1
=> 15000=n^2/2+n/2-2p-1
=>14999*2=n^2+n-4p
=>4p=n^2+n-14999*2
=>p=(n^2+n-14999*2)*0.25
=>p=(n(n+1)-14999*2)*0.25
Thus knowing the total number of pages you can determine p and p+1 numerically.
3 months ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Algebra

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Find an AP whose first term is unity and the second , tenth and 34th term form a GP

For AP a=1 2nd term(AP) = a+d =1st term of (GP)= b1 10th term(AP) = a+9d =2nd term of (GP)=b2 34th term(AP) = a+33d =3rd term of (GP)=b3 For a GP (b2)^2 = b1*b3 Put the values, form a...
  img
Ravi one month ago
what is the standard equation of the circle, parabola, ellipse and hyperbola in terms of complex numbers?

center of the circle (h,k) and the radius r then the standard equation circle (x-h)^2+(y-k)^2=r^2

lavanya 18 days ago
Given: [a/(b+c)] + [b(a+c)] + [c/(a+b)] = 1 Then What is the Value of : [a 2 /(b+c)] + [b 2 (a+c)] + [c 2 /(a+b)] ?

Hello student, Please find the response to your question below I think there is some data missing or some mistake in your question. whether it is b(a+c) or b/a+c also it is b 2 (a+c) or b 2...
  img
SHAIK AASIF AHAMED 3 months ago

We have (a+b+c)[ (a/b+c) + (b/c+a) + (c/a+b) ] = a^2/(b+c)+b^2/(c+a)+c^2/(a+b) + (a+b+c) Hence if (a/b+c) + (b/c+a) + (c/a+b) =1, the equation becomes a+b+c = a^2/(b+c)+b^2/(c+a)+c^2/(a+b) +...

mycroft holmes 3 months ago

Sir, Thankyou for the response so that i could post the accurate question as follows: [a/(b+c)] + [b / (a+c)] + [c/(a+b)] = 1 Then What is the Value of : [a 2 /(b+c)] + [b 2 / (a+c)] + [c 2...

Hari Eeshwar 3 months ago
Does Average Velocity have Direction?

DEAR VARUN , I DON''T THINK AVERAGE VELOCITY HAS DIRECTION IT ONLY HAS MAGNITUDE APPROVE IF MY ANSWER IS RIGHT PLEASE

Revanth - - one year ago

Yes - just like any velocity, average velocity is a vector and has a direction associated with it. Speed, on the other hand is only an intensive property which has no specific direction...

yours katarnak Suresh one year ago

yes,because velocity is a vector quantity which have magnitude and direction both.Therefore average velocity also has direction.

Abhijeet Singh one year ago
how many four digit numbers can be formed such that the digits are in the decreasing order

Dear student, Number of such numbers without having zero in the number = (9*8*7*6) / 4! = 126 Number of such numbers with having zero in the number = (9*8*7) / 3! = 84 Therefore, number of...
  img
Shobhit Varshney 2 months ago
if pair of lines ax^2+2hxy+by^2+2gx+2fy+c=0 intersect on y axis then ... a.2fgh=hg^2+ch^2 b.hg^2 not equal to ch^2 c.abc=2fgh d.none of these

A pair of equations intersecting on the y-axis is given by: (px+my+n)(qx+my+n)=0. You can see that by putting x=0 in each factor on the LHS, and observing that the y-coordinate is the same....
  img
bharat bajaj 7 months ago
View all Questions »