A  leaf  is  torn  from  a  paperback  novel. The  sum  of  the  numbers  on  the  remaining  pages  is 15000.  What are the page numbers on the torn leaf ?

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hello student,
Please find the answer to your question below
The sum of the numbers form an arithmetic progression.
So, assuming the number of pages is n, the first is number 1. And number missing are p and p+1 (a leaf is torn so two page numbers missing).
Then Sum of all pages= n/2 (2+n-1) {using the formula of sum of AP with a=1}
The Sum of remaining pages =15000=n/2(2+n-1)-p-(p+1);
=> 15000= n+n^2/2-n/2-2p-1
=> 15000=n^2/2+n/2-2p-1
=>14999*2=n^2+n-4p
=>4p=n^2+n-14999*2
=>p=(n^2+n-14999*2)*0.25
=>p=(n(n+1)-14999*2)*0.25
Thus knowing the total number of pages you can determine p and p+1 numerically.
5 days ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Algebra

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
if a polynomial f(x)=4x^4-ax^3+bx^2-cx+5 (a,b,c belongs to R) has 4 positive real roots r1,r2,r3,r4 such that r1/2+r2/4+r3/5+r4/8+1 the the value of a is (1)20 (2)21 (3)19 (4) 22. single...

Ans: Hello Student, Please find the answer to your question below f(x) = 4x 4 – ax 3 + bx 2 – cx + 5 f(x) has four +ve real roots r 1 , r 2 , r 3 , r 4 The second part of the...
  img
Jitender Singh 25 days ago
(A+B)2

Hello student, Please find the answer to your question below. we can find the answer to this question simply by expanding the given equation (A+B) 2 =(A+B)(A+B) =A 2 +AB+BA+B 2 =A 2 +2AB+B 2
  img
SHAIK AASIF AHAMED 17 days ago
The solution set of |x +1/x| + |x +1| = (x+1)^2 /|x|

Hello Student, Thanks & Regards Arun Kumar Btech, IIT Delhi Askiitians Faculty
  img
Arun Kumar one month ago
Second step I want to understand

Ans: There is some little mistake in the expression Differentiete one time & apply the chain rule ….....(1) Put in (1)
  img
Jitender Singh one month ago

Dear student, This is a formula for nth order differentiation. Can you please elaborate what is the second step that you want to be clarified. You need to specify whether you like to do an...
  img
Sumit Majumdar 19 days ago

sumit sir ….….…i understood this question ….…..................but i have another question can u please tell me my problem ….….…....the question is please explain fully ….if it has 0/0 form...

milind 19 days ago
general solution of tan5A=cot2A?

tan5A= cot2A tan5A= tan(pi/2-2A) general solution is 5A=npi+(pi/2-2A) 7A=(2n+1)pi/2 Thanks & Regards Sunil Raikwar askIITians faculty
  img
Sunil Raikwar one month ago
How many seven -digits telephone nunber are there that begin 347- and contain at least one 0 and at least one 1? ANS-974

hi shaleen, atleat one 1 and one 0 makes 3 cases 1) one 0 and one 1 then first we will select 2 out of 4 places for 0,1 and place 8 digits in remaining 2 we get C(4,2)*8^2 and the can be...

jitender lakhanpal 10 months ago

Let A be event that there is no zero and B be event that there is no one. We need n(A'' intersect B'') or n (A union B)'' Use De Moivre''s theorem.

India VK 11 months ago
View all Questions »