the highest prime less than 50, that divides the binomial coefficient 100C50 ? a) 37, b) 31, c)47 d)43

2 years ago

Answers : (13)

100! contains 47 and 94, 50!*50! contains 47 twice. Therefore, answer is 47

2 years ago

Hi Rituparna,

For the greatest prime number, say p.

3p < 100

Because 100C50 = 100!/(50!*50!)

Each of the 50! would cancel the prime numbers in 100! twice. So there has to be one more prime for it to divide 100C50.

So 3p<100. Only possibility p=31.

Option B.

Regards,

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

2 years ago

yeah, the anwer is 31.... ur logic is right .... actually there is one more method using Legendre theorem..... would u know it by any chance?

2 years ago

I am guessing 33 should be the required answer. Because exponent of 33 in 100! is 3 and in 50!^2 is 2. But that isnt in option.

2 years ago

yeah the answer is b), thanx, but there is one more way using Legendre .... would u know it by any chance?

2 years ago

I have never heard of Legendres theorem. But is it this one by any chance (i dont know the name)

Exponent of p in n! = [n/p] + [n/p2] + [n/p3] + ....

If yes, then i have used this.

2 years ago

Hi Rituparna,

Yes you can use Legendre Theorem here.

It states the highest power of a prime number "p" in N! would be = Σ[N/pk]. where k = 1,2,..... and [.] denotes greatest integer function.

For example the power of 5 in 100! would be [100/5] + [100/25] + [100/125] +.... = 20+4 = 24. ie 100! will have 5^24.

So in this case check the prime number, for which you get the exponent to be three or more.

Only 31 will satisy that condition.

Hence option (B) using Legendre Theorem !!.

Regards,

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

2 years ago

Hi Jit Mitra,

Yes that is one of Legendre Theorem.

But it is applicable only on prime numbers.

And 33 = 3x11 is not a prime number.

And hence 31 is the largest prime number.

Regards,

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

2 years ago

If one needs to get the exponent of 33, then one has to split it into prime numbers first and then get the exponent.

33=3x11.

exp of 3 would be [100/3] + [100/9] + [100/27] + [100/81] = 33+11+3+1 = 48.

And exp of 11 would be [100/11] = 9.

So exp of 33 would be the lesser of the two.

Hence exponent of 33 in 100! would be 9.

Regards,

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

2 years ago

ys the ans wuld b 47.

thats bcoz, 100C50 = (51*52*53*......*100)/50!   and hence any num having a factor in series in numerator wuld divide.

also as per given terms in ques, 47 wuld be the correct 1.

2 years ago

Thanks a lot!!

2 years ago

Thanks sir. I missed that.

2 years ago

actually i m a bit weak at these binomial cofficients nd all .

so i have a kind request to ashwin sir ..... sir can u pls give some 4-5 relevant nd good questions based on the same or a bit diffrent concept .. ??

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Algebra

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
question is in image

The given equation can be written in the form: Now is defined for . So, Solving these two we get …......................(1) To solve , assume left hand side as and right hand side as...
  img
Satyajit Samal 25 days ago
if a,b,c are 3 distinct positive numbers in H.P. then the equation x^2 -kx + 2b^101-a^101-c^101=0, k belongs to R (A) has two distinct real roots. (B)has product of roots positive (C)has...

Hello student, Please find the answer to your question below We know that AM>GM As a,b,c are in HP (a n +c n )/2> …............(1) But GM>HM so >b or >b n...
  img
SHAIK AASIF AHAMED 2 months ago
Find the number of selection of r things out of n different things such that none of particular things are selected at a time. (Topic:Permutation And Combination)

Hello student, Please find the answer to your question below The number of permutations of n dissimilar things taken r at a time when k(< r) particular things always occur is [(n-k)P...
  img

Hello student, Please find the answer to your question below The number of permutations of n dissimilar things taken r at a time when k(< r) particular things always occur is [(n-k)P...
  img
find dy/dx when y= sin x sin 2x sin 3x sin 4x

Hello Student, Thanks & Regards Arun Kumar Btech, IIT Delhi Askiitians Faculty
  img
Arun Kumar 3 months ago
Find doamin of f(x) g(x)=|sinx|+sinx h(x)=sinx+cosx ,0 f(x)=(log h(x) g(x)) 1/2 log is in square root answer is pi/6,pi/2 pls give two solution graph and analytical. thanks

g(x) and h(x) have condition that x is in between 0 and pi both included

vineet nimesh 3 months ago

g(x) and h(x) has condition 0

vineet nimesh 3 months ago
If from a variable point ‘P’ on the line x-2y+1=0 pair of tangents are drawn to the parabola y 2 =8x then prove that the chord of contact passes through a fixed point, also find...

Let the point be (h,k) then h - 2k + 1 = 0 ----- (1) equation of chord of contact will be T = 0, i.e, yk = 8 (x + h)/2 yk = 4x + 4h ---- (2) Put value of h from equation (1) into equation...
  img
Pratik Tibrewal 9 months ago
View all Questions »