Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 550 off

The quadratic equations x2 - 6x + a = 0 and x2 - cx + 6 = 0 have one root in common. The other roots of the first and second equations are integers in the ratio 4 : 3. Then what is the common root?

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Let α and β are roots of: x2 - 6x + a = 0

Let α and γ are roots of: x2 - cx + 6 = 0

So, α + β = 6 ........ (i)

α.β = a ........ (ii)

α + γ = c ........ (iii)

α.γ = 6 ........ (iv)

β/γ = 4/3 ........ (v)

Now using (ii) and (iii)

α.β/α.γ = a/6

=> β/γ = a/6

=> using (v), 4/3 = a/6

=> So, a = 8

Now , x2 - 6x + a = 0

x2 - 6x + 8 = 0

x = 2 OR 6

As α.β = 8

So α = 2

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Algebra

Given the three circles x 2 +y 2 -16x+60=0, 3x 2 +3y 2 -36x+81=0,x 2 +y 2 -16x-12y+84=0,find (i)the point from which the tangents to them are equal in length and (ii)this length.
let that point be (h.k) Now we know that Length of tangent is given by root(S1) So length of tangent to circle 1 is root(h2+k2-16h+60) Similarily for other two and then equate all the...
Nishant Vora one month ago
The radical axis of two circles has the property that the tangents drawn from a point on it to both the circles will have the same length. Radical axis equation quite naturally is S 1 =S 2...
mycroft holmes one month ago
Can you plz explain it clearly to me to understand?? thanking you Sir..............................................................................................................
Hansraj Gyanendra Singh Rajawat one month ago
Most common sequence and series questions that come in entrance exams
@ nikita WHAT EXACTLY U WANT TO KNOW ?? i am sorry there is no attachment in the question , kindly attach the ques in which u have problems . and the most imp topics in that chap is sum of...
Umakant biswal one month ago
if the product of HCF & LCM of two natural no. is 3780000 then their hcf is
Firstly, U should have provided the options either or LCM value to get the HCF. because absence of any one of themm cannot solve. However the concept would be: HCF is the factor of LCM...
2017 years ago
y= h0 + h1x1 + h2x2 x1= 2, x2= 1, y=250 Find h0,h1, h2
Priya, here one equation and three unknown. So it has infinte number of solution. if the value of h1=1,2,3,-------- then corresponding chose the value of h0 and h2.
Kumar one month ago
if AB=A and BA=B then which is correct a) A^2=A b) B^2=B c)A=I d) B=I? chapter matrices
Both options (a) and (b) are correct .A 2 =A & B 2 =B.
Nikhil Upadhyay one year ago
Look options a) and b) are correct showing that options c and d are also correct.see below for explaination. A 2 =A--------->A.A=A------------->A=A -1 .A(taking one of the A to right side...
Nikhil Upadhyay one year ago
Nikhil Upadhyay but why C and D not correct??? if we multiply both side by A inverse.... we will get A=I. ???
rajnish kumar one year ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 550 off

More Questions On Algebra

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn