There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 550 off

what is argument in complex no.?

7 years ago

Answers : (2)

Remember the Argand diagram in which the point (a, b) corresponds to the complex number z = a + ib

When the complex number is written as a + ib where a and b are real numbers, this is known as the Cartesian form.

This point (a,b) can also be specified by giving the distance, r, of the point from the origin and the angle, , between the line joining the point to the origin and the positive x-axis.

By some simple trigonometry it follows that a = r cos and b = r sin

Thus the complex number z can be written as r cos + i r sin

This is known as the polar form of a complex number.
r is called the modulus of z and is the argument of z.

The argument of a complex number is the angle between the positive x-axis and the line representing the complex number on an Argand diagram. It is denoted arg (z).

7 years ago

Polar form of a complex number z = a + ib is z = r(cosΘ + isinΘ)

where angle Θ is known as argument(or amplitude) of z, written as arg(z) or amp(z) and is determined by

tanΘ = (b/a) or Θ = tan-1(b/a).

The unique value of Θ such that -π < Θ ≤ π for which a = rcosΘ and b = rsinΘ, is known as principle value of argument.

The general value of the amplitude is (2nπ + Θ), where n is an integer and Θ is the principal value of arg(z).

NOTE: Θ = Theta    and    π = pie

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Algebra

how to solve this please explain in detail and do not ignore me.
your question is very important to us and ans is very important to you i will tell you how to do this
sahil sharma 3 months ago
the image is invalid nc piajlskcnSLIDUCBwpviu WVIJN sdckndsfoIHFIJnfpQHFijnv isddV WUPNVwjefP WVwijvnSIDJVNdsip j vnPWJwipubvwjo vnWP IUBHwobWORHB wpovn
Shubhang Arora 3 months ago
If |z|=2 then -1+5z lie on 1).circle 2).parabola . 3).hyperbola
Nishant Vora one month ago
z’ = 1+5z and so z’+1 = 5z which means |z’+1| = 5|z| = 10 which means z’ lies on a circle centred at (-1,0) and radius 10. Alternatively you can see that 5z takes all points on the circle...
mycroft holmes one month ago
Hi,my 10 th sa1 board exam will start on next month. the lesson ‘trigonometry’is very difficult for,how can i perform well in board exam about the questions related to trigonometry?
@ jason No , i dnt think that trigonometry is at all difficult in class 10 . as far as class 10 sa1 exams are considered then u have only to remember the trigonometry identity and also...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
trigonometry is not at all hard as actual trigo comes in class 11 and 12. For class 10 th level you just prepare the NCERT well and for further questions you can log on to...
Nayan sharma 2 months ago
Which book is best for straight line and conic section for objectives?
@ KARAN there is a book coming named as OBJECTIVE IIT MATHEMATICS by m l khanna , that is best for conic section as well as streight lines , these two are the most weightage chapter of jee...
Umakant biswal 25 days ago
The best books for above topics are ML Khanna and A Das Gupta. You can refer any one of them. Hope it helps. Thank You.
Shreyas Patil 25 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 550 off

More Questions On Algebra

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn