Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 550 off

If the eqn x4 - 4x3 +a x2 +bx +1 = 0 has four positive roots, then show that a=6 and b=-4.

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

since all roots are positive,

coeff. of x shld be negatuve i.e., b is negative

let roots be m(>0), n(>0), p(>0), q(>0)

m+n+p+q = 4

mn+np+pq+mp+mq+nq = a

mnp+mnq+npq+mpq = -b

mnpq = 1

For the objective case,

put m=n=p=q =1 (which satisfies eqns 1 and 4 above)

so a = 1+1+1+1+1+1 = 6

-b = 1+1+1+1 =4

so, a = 6 and b = -4

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our disucssion forum as you can. If you find any question difficult to understand - post it here and

we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly.We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation. All the best.

Naga Ramesh

IIT Kgp - 2005 batch

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Algebra

If x+1/x =5 and x^2+1/x^3=8 then x^3+1/x^2 is equal to ?
Harsh Patodia one month ago
IF a+b+c=6 and a b c are positive real no. prove that 1/(6-a)+1/(6-b)+1/(6-c) is greater than equal to3/4
Setting (6-a) = x, (6-b) = y, (6-c) = z, we have x+y+z = 12, x,y,z>0 From AM-GM we have which means The explanation for the inequality cited above can be found online or do let me know in...
mycroft holmes 3 months ago
Very nice explanation hsbhatt sir
jagdish singh singh 3 months ago
jagdish singh singh 3 months ago
no of sol. of Ix+2I+IxI+Ix-2I=p ,p belongs to Real no. are?
jagdish singh singh one month ago
draw the graph of given eq. hence getting if p=4 we getone sol.i.e x=0 while for all p>4 two solutions.
Pranav Dabhade one month ago
the incentre of a triangle formed by x+y=1,x=1,y=1 then can any one say the procces for this
the incentre of a triangle formed by x+y=1,x=1,y=1 is the incomplete one. Plz provide the full information regarding your question and aslk again. Thankyou!
Vikas TU 2 months ago
If the vectors −3i + 4 j + λk and μ i + 8 j + 6k are collinear vectors then find λand μ.
Let a = −3 i + 4 j + λk , b = μ i + 8 j + 6k From hyp. a, b are collinear then a = tb ⇒ −3i + 4 j + λk = t(μ i + 8 j + 6k) −3i + 4 j + λk = μt i + 8t j + 6tk Comparing i, j, k coefficients...
KUNCHAM SAMPATH 10 months ago
If sin(A-B) = ½, cos(A+B)= ½, 0 B, find A and B.
Assume A-B = alpha and A+B = beta. Now, Since sin (alpha) = cos (beta) = ½. Therefore alpha = beta = pi/4 Now solve the two equations A-B = pi/4 and A+B = pi/4. and find A and B....
Vijay Mukati 3 months ago
Hi friend, the answer is A=pi/4 and B=0 THANKS Friend............................................................
mohan 3 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 550 off

More Questions On Algebra

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn