Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 550 off

I wonder how could I solve a biquadratic equations of general structure "ax^4+bx^3+cx^2+dx+e" . Can any one of you pls help me.

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Solving a quartic equation

Special cases

Consider the quartic

Q(x) = a_4x^4+a_3x^3+a_2x^2+a_1x+a_0.\,

Q(0) = 0\,,

so zero is a root. To find the other roots, we can divide by x\, and solve the resultin cubic equation

Evident roots: 1 and −1 and −k

Q(1) = 0\,,    

so 1 is a root. Similarly, if

that is,

then -1 is a root.

When 1 is a root, we can divide

Q(x)\, by x-1\,

and get

Q(x) = (x - 1)p(x),\,

where p(x)\, is a cubic polynomial, which may be solved to find Q\, 's other roots. Similarly, if -1 is a root,

Q(x) = (x + 1)p(x),\,

where p(x)\, is some cubic polynomial.

a_2 = 0, a_3 = ka_4, a_0 = ka_1,\,

then −k is a root and we can factor out x+k\,,

<br/>&=a_4 x^4 + k a_4 x^3 + a_1 x + ka_1
<br/>\&=(x + k)a_4x^3 + (x + k)a_1
<br/>\&=(x + k)(a_4x^3 + a_1).

And if

a_0=0, a_3=ka_4, a_1 = ka_2,\,

then both 0\, and -k\, are roots Now we can factor out x(x + k)\, and get

To get Q 's other roots, we simply solve the quadratic factor.

Biquadratic equations

If a_3=a_1=0,\, then

Q(x) = a_4x^4+a_2x^2+a_0.\,\!

We call such a polynomial a biquadratic, which is easy to solve.

Let z=x^2.\, Then Q becomes a quadratic q in z,

q(z) = a_4z^2+a_2z+a_0.\,\!

Let z_+\, and z_-\, be the roots of q. Then the roots of our quartic Q are

Quasi-symmetric equations

a_0x^4+a_1x^3+a_2x^2+a_1 m x+a_0 m^2=0 \,

1) Divide by x 2.

2) Use variable change z = x + m/x.

The general case, along Ferrari's lines

To begin, the quartic must first be converted to a depressed quartic.

Converting to a depressed quartic

A x^4 + B x^3 + C x^2 + D x + E = 0 \qquad\qquad(1')

be the general quartic equation which it is desired to solve. Divide both sides by A,

x^4 + {B \over A} x^3 + {C \over A} x^2 + {D \over A} x + {E \over A} = 0.

The first step should be to eliminate the x3 term. To do this, change variables from x to u, such that

x = u - {B \over 4 A} .

\left( u - {B \over 4 A} \right)^4 + {B \over A} \left( u - {B \over 4 A} \right)^3 + {C \over A} \left( u - {B \over 4 A} \right)^2 + {D \over A} \left( u - {B \over 4 A} \right) + {E \over A} = 0.

Expanding the powers of the binomials produces

\left( u^4 - {B \over A} u^3 + {6 u^2 B^2 \over 16 A^2} - {4 u B^3 \over 64 A^3} + {B^4 \over 256 A^4} \right)
<br/>+ {B \over A}
<br/>\left( u^3 - {3 u^2 B \over 4 A} + {3 u B^2 \over 16 A^2} - {B^3 \over 64 A^3} \right)
<br/>+ {C \over A}
<br/>\left( u^2 - {u B \over 2 A} + {B^2 \over 16 A^2} \right) + {D \over A} \left( u - {B \over 4 A} \right) + {E \over A} = 0.

Collecting the same powers of u yields

u^4 + \left( {-3 B^2 \over 8 A^2} + {C \over A} \right) u^2 + \left( {B^3 \over 8 A^3} - {B C \over 2 A^2} + {D \over A} \right) u + \left( {-3 B^4 \over 256 A^4} + {C B^2 \over 16 A^3} - {B D \over 4 A^2} + {E \over A} \right) = 0.

Now rename the coefficients of u. Let

<br/>\alpha & = {-3 B^2 \over 8 A^2} + {C \over A} ,\\beta & = {B^3 \over 8 A^3} - {B C \over 2 A^2} + {D \over A} ,\\gamma & = {-3 B^4 \over 256 A^4} + {C B^2 \over 16 A^3} - {B D \over 4 A^2} + {E \over A} .

The resulting equation is

u^4 + \alpha u^2 + \beta u + \gamma = 0 \qquad \qquad (1)

which is a depressed quartic equation.

If \beta=0 \ then we have a biquadratic Equation, which (as explained above) is easily solved; using reverse substitution we can find our values for x.

If \gamma=0 \ then one of the roots is u=0 \ and the other roots can be found by dividing by u, and solving the resulting equation,

u^3 + \alpha u + \beta = 0 \,.

Using reverse substitution we can find our values for x.

Askiitians Expert

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Algebra

I am not getting the derivation of the formula nPr=n!÷(n-r)!. n=no. of objects and r=no. of times taken (the object)
Consider that you have three drawers and 10 balls of different colors. Now in how many ways can you fill all three drawers with balls from set of 10 balls so that each drawer conatins one...
Ajay 3 months ago
Please answer it fast! not able to understand permutations and combinations without it. 😢 Anyone kindly answer it. Hurry up please!!
riya 3 months ago
In a certain town 25% families own a cell phone , 15% own a scooter and 65% won neither a cell or scooter . If 2000 families own both cell phone and scooter then the total no of families in...
3. 40,000 families are there in the town.It can be solved through Venn diagram.Their intersection comprises 5% I.e, 2000 families. And the remaining are 20% cell phone and 10 % scooter.
Shaswata Biswas one month ago
Find the value of : square root of (-3+4i) Sorry this sentence is just to incrase characters.
@Vikas TU please write the correct in place of that solution . again , this line is to incrase the number of characters .
Divyansh Thada one month ago
let square root of (-3+4i) = x + iy squaring both sides, -3 + 4i = x^2 – y^2 +2xyi comparing both sides we get, x^2 – y^2 = – 3................(1) and 2xy = 4 xy = 2...................(2)...
Vikas TU one month ago
what is the applications of matrices in daily life?
NARAYANA 10 months ago
This is to inform all forum users who are posting questions and then approving answers of all the users in same question just to give points to their friends so that they can get the gift...
Forum Team 9 months ago
Hello Kumar In mathematics , a matrix (plural matrices ) is a rectangular array—of numbers, symbols, or expressions, arranged in rows and columns—that is treated in certain prescribed ways. ...
Gaddam Chethan 10 months ago
WHAT IS THE SPAN OF A SET................................................?
In linear algebra, the linear span (also called the linear hull or just span ) of a set of vectors in a vector space is the intersection of all subspaces containing that set . The linear...
T Dileep 4 months ago
DEAR NAG, The linear span (also called the linear hull or just span) of a set of vectors in a vector space is the intersection of all subspaces containing that set. It is very useful thing.
SAI SARDAR 4 months ago
What will will come when we differentiate acceleration
when we deferentiate the acceleration we get the jerk.
RAMCHANDRARAO 9 months ago
I`m probably just being a jerk but you didn`t specify what you are differentiating with respect to.If you differentiate acceleration as a function of distance from (say) the moon, you`ll get...
rahul kushwaha 27 days ago
MR. PRABHAKAR its nothing but “JERK“, and its a sudeen movement if u want an example then when u r travelling in the bus if driver puts a sudden brake there is movement in u i.e, jeRk
Dheeru chowdary 10 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 550 off

More Questions On Algebra

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn