Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 550 off

proof of L'hospitals theorem

6 years ago

Answers : (2)

Dear sachin,

If f and g are differentiable in a neighborhood of x = c, and f(c) = g(c) = 0, then

provided the limit on the right exists. The same result holds for one-sided limits.

If f and g are differentiable and f(x) = g(x) = - then

provided the last limit exists.

The first part can be proved easily, if the right hand limit equals f'(c) / g'(c): Since f(c) = g(c) = 0 we have

Taking the limit as x approaches c we get the first result. However, the actual result is somewhat more general, and we have to be slightly more careful. We will use a version of the Mean Value theorem:

Take any sequence {xn} converging to c from above. All assumptions of the generalized Mean Value theorem are satisfied (check !) on [c, xn]. Therefore, for each n there exists a number cn in the interval (c, xn) such that

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

6 years ago

Consider the linear approximation to f(x) and g(x) at x=a:

The ratio of these for x near a is:

which, if g'(a) is not 0 approaches f '(a) / g'(a) as x approaches a.

If g'(a) = 0 and f '(a) = 0 we can apply the same rule to the derivatives, to give f "(a) / g"(a).

If these second derivatives are both 0 you can continue to higher derivatives, etc. the result will be the ratio of the first pair of non-vanishing higher derivatives at a.

Of course if the first non-vanishing derivative of the numerator is the kth and occurs before the kth then the ratio is 0; if the first non-vanishing entry of the denominator occurs after that of the numerator, the ratio goes to infinity at a.

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Algebra

there is a question from complex no. mam please help me for getting its answer
Kindly submit the desired question for the experts to answer! Two complex numbers are equal if and only if both their real and imaginary parts are equal. In symbols: {\displaystyle...
Stan one month ago
If |z|=2 then -1+5z lie on 1).circle 2).parabola . 3).hyperbola
Nishant Vora one month ago
z’ = 1+5z and so z’+1 = 5z which means |z’+1| = 5|z| = 10 which means z’ lies on a circle centred at (-1,0) and radius 10. Alternatively you can see that 5z takes all points on the circle...
mycroft holmes one month ago
Number of ways in which 2 Americans , 2 British , one chinese , 1 dutch and 1 Egyptian can sit on a round table so that persons of same nationality are separated is : AnS ??
ans=226800 [i am also not sure] i hope iam correct. plz give reply as soon as possible. have a nice day.
Gosula Madhukar one month ago
Ans==180 ( not sure)
T Jahnavi 2 months ago
Sina+cosb=1/√2 & cosa+sinb=√2/√3 then find the value of : (1) sin(a+b) (2) tan(a-b/2)
Sina+cosb=1/√2 Sina = 1/√2 – cosb squaring both sides, (sina)^2 = 1/2 + (cosb)^2 – 2cosb/ √2 1 – (cosa)^2 = 1/2 + (cosb)^2 – 2cosb/ √2 1/2 – (cosa)^2 = (cosb)^2 – 2cosb/...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
What is the integration x^3×cosx^3dxPlease give me the answer
write x^3×cosx^3dx as: x*x^2*cosx^3dx => let x^2 = u 2xdx = du I = u*cos(u^(3/2)) Apply now by – part easily then after substitute u in the end.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 550 off

More Questions On Algebra

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn