we have learnt from the alpha particles scattering experiment that the nucleus occupies very little space almost 10^-15 of the size of atom. it also concludes that there is approx. 99% of empty space in an atom. then my curious question is: since everything in the universe if made up of atoms and atoms cant be compressed and an atom consists 99% empty space, then how can we see the matter around us....?/?/? or all the matter around us is just nucleuses of the atoms constituting...?? i cant understand. why i m visible if almost all the space occupied by me is empty. i know this question can be stupid. but i would apprciate a good explanation and if i m wrong pls correct me.

we have learnt from the alpha particles scattering experiment that the nucleus occupies very little space almost 10^-15 of the size of atom. it also concludes that there is approx. 99% of empty space in an atom.
then my curious question is:
since everything in the universe if made up of atoms and atoms cant be compressed and an atom consists 99% empty space, then how can we see the matter around us....?/?/?
or all the matter around us is just nucleuses of the atoms constituting...?? 
i cant understand. why i m visible if almost all the space occupied by me is empty.

i know this question can be stupid. but i would apprciate a good explanation and if i m wrong pls correct me.

Grade:12

2 Answers

Vikas TU
14149 Points
7 years ago
Your qstn. is not stupid.
Relavance point is:
Though it is true about the atom that most of the part is emoty reagarding having the nucleus there is enormous no. of atoms say millions and billions of atoms and thus when all the atoms are clubbed together it forms moleucles and molecule – molecules recombines and form body.
Umakant biswal
5349 Points
7 years ago
@ rishabh 
thats a logical question , the atom is so much smaller , and if u can compare a human body with an atom , which have 90 percent empty SPACE , then the human body will made up of 100- 200 million atoms , even more than that . 
so, as atom is too small , 90 percent cannot matter here , 
and the experiment conducted by rutherford is also a hypothetical one , for that reason its discarded . so, i think now u can understand the comparison , 
HOPE IT CLEARS 
IN CASE OF ANY DOUBT , LET ME KNOW 
ALL THE BEST ..

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free